Welcome to the library resource guide for the Digital Media program at Carleton University offered by the School of Information Technology.
Get background information from handbooks, encyclopedias, dictionaries.
- A dictionary of the Internet [electronic resource] / Darrel Ince.
- Dictionary of computing, fourth edition [electronic resource] / S. M. H. Collin.
- Tech terms [electronic resource] : what every telecommunications and digital media professional should know / Jeff Rutenbeck.
- Encyclopedia of information science and technology. Vol. I-V [electronic resource] / Mehdi Khosrow-Pour, editor.
- Encyclopedia of virtual communities and technologies [electronic resource] / Subhasish Dasgupta [editor].
- Encyclopedia of data warehousing and mining [electronic resource] / [edited by]John Wang.
- Encyclopedia of human computer interaction [electronic resource] / [edited by] Claude Ghaoui.
- Encyclopedia of information ethics and security [electronic resource] / Marian Quigley [editor].
- The Routledge handbook of media use and well-being [electronic resource] : international perspectives on theory and research on positive media effects / edited by Leonard Reinecke and Mary Beth Oliver.
- Handbook of research on the societal impact of digital media [electronic resource] / Barbara Guzzetti, Mellinee Lesley [editors].
Once your topic is narrowly defined, select databases to find specific articles that have been published in journals.
- Business Source Complete
- Design and Applied Arts Index
- Gale Virtual Reference Library
- IEEE Xplore Digital Library
- Oxford Reference (Online)
- Scholars Portal Journals
- Web of Science
- Web of Science Core Collection
- Animation: An Interdisciplinary Journal
- Convergence: the Journal of Research into New Media
- Creative Review [electronic resource].
- Digital creativity [electronic resource] : incorporating Intelligent tutoring media.
- Information, communication and society [electronic resource].
- The International journal on media management [electronic resource] : JMM.
- Journal of film and video [electronic resource].
- Journal of Popular Film and Television
- Jump cut [electronic resource] : a review of contemporary media.
- Leonardo [electronic resource] : journal of the International Society for the Arts, Sciences and Technology
- Media, Culture and Society
- New Media Age [electronic resource].
- New Media and Society
- The New review of hypermedia and multimedia [electronic resource].
- Telecommunications Policy
- Television & new media [electronic resource].
- ACM journal on computing and cultural heritage [electronic resource].
- Digital humanities quarterly [electronic resource] : DHQ.
- Digital studies [electronic resource] = Le champ numérique.
- The journal of digital humanities [electronic resource].
- Discourse, context & media [electronic resource]
Find books on your topic to gain greater depth and understanding.
- Grove encyclopedia of materials & techniques in art [electronic resource].
- The non-designer's type book [electronic resource] : insights and techniques for creating professional-level type / Robin Williams.
- The non-designer's design book [electronic resource] / Robin Williams.
- Digital storytelling [electronic resource] : a creator's guide to interactive entertainment / Carolyn Handler Miller.
- Expressive processing [electronic resource] : digital fictions, computer games, and software studies / Noah Wardrip-Fruin.
- Production rendering [electronic resource] : design and implementation / Ian Stephenson (ed.).
- Directory of Open access Books
- Project Gutenberg
- Autodesk 3ds Max 2013 essentials [electronic resource] / Randi L. Derakhshani, Dariush Derakhshani.
- The DSLR filmmaker's handbook [electronic resource] : real-world production techniques / by Barry Andersson, Janie L. Geyen.
- 3D animation essentials [electronic resource] / Andy Beane.
- Final Cut Pro X advanced editing [electronic resource] / Michael Wohl, Alexis Van Hurkman, Mark Spencer.
- Adobe Flash Professional CS6 essentials [electronic resource] / William Heldman.
- Voice & vision [electronic resource] : a creative approach to narrative film and DV production / Mick Hurbis-Cherrier.
- Remediation [electronic resource] : understanding new media / Jay David Bolter and Richard Grusin.
Suggested Subject Headings:
- Artistic computer game modification
- Collaborative distributed work
- Computer art
- Digital art
- Digital entertainment
- Digital Storytelling
- Expressive Processing
- Mobile platforms
- Motion graphics
- Online gaming
- Production Rendering
- Social media
- Telecommunication in medicine
Fulltext eBook Collections:
- Publication Cycle (Engineering & Science): to find primary and secondary sources of information, use tertiary sources of information: dictionaries, encyclopedias, handbooks. When a researcher publishes material, they follow the cycle clockwise. To find primary and secondary sources, follow the cycle anti clockwise.
Write down or store all the references you have consulted to include them in your bibliography of your research paper (e.g., Mendeley)
- Begin by defining exactly what you are searching for
- Select the keywords/synonyms in your topic
- Be specific when determining keywords/synonyms and terms to search
- Use the advanced interface of electronic databases and Internet search engines to help narrow your search
- Limit results in electronic databases to full-text or peer reviewed journals only
- Use Boolean Operators to connect search terms (Click for a brief explanation of Boolean Operators)
- Take notes during your research to keep track of where you have been, keywords searched, what worked and what didn't, etc.
- Google search secrets [electronic resource] / Christa Burns and Michael P. Sauers.