This library guide is designed to introduce undergraduate students to "starting points" for studies in the Department of Earth Sciences.
If you are just beginning your research, try browsing the following books:
- Why geology matters: decoding the past, anticipating the future QE28.3.M334 2011 (floor 3)
- Canada rocks: the geologic journey RSV QE185.E98 2007 (4 hour loan)
- The Goldilocks Planet: the four billion year story of Earth's climate QC884.Z35 2012
- Earth's oldest rocks
- Annual Review of earth and planetary sciences online
- Encyclopedia of geomagnetism and paleomagnetism online
- Encyclopedia of solid earth geophysics online
- Encyclopedia of paleoclimatology and ancient environments online
- Encyclopedia of quaternary science online
- Encyclopedia of sediments and sedimentary rocks QE471.2.E53 2003
- The Geologic Time Scale QE 508.G3956 vols. 1 & 2
- Handbook of environmental isotope geochemistry online
- Physical properties of rocks: fundamentals and principles of petrophysics e-book
- Oxford Reference Online
- Treatise on Geomorphology GB 401.5.T74 2013 vols. 1-10
Search Summon to easily find peer-reviewed journal articles on any topic.
- Remember to refine your search by clicking on the following options
- Scholarly & Peer-Review
- Journal Article
You can also limit your search results to many other sources in Summon, such as books/e-books, newspapers, magazines, trade publications, videos, dissertations or conference proceedings. While many sources are published in different formats and written for specific audiences, they may not all have solid authority as with the scholarly, peer reviewed literature.
You can also search subject-specific databases to find journal articles. They offer many advanced search features, only contain scholarly literature and search results are more precise.
Earth Sciences Databases:
Note: If the library does not have what you need, you can order books and journal articles from other libraries through RACER but you need to register before you can start using it.
- Physical Geology and the Environment QE28.2.P585 2007 (floor 3)
- Earth: an introduction to physical geology QE28.2.T37 2012 (floor 3)
- Structural Geology QE601.F687 (RSV 2 hour loan)
Browse many more videos in the library's collection by using the keyword search option and limiting the search to video in the drop down menu.
Search Watmedia for videos held by other Ontario universities that can be borrowed.
- Federal Science Library (Canada)
- OneGeology (geological surveys of the world)
- Natural Resources Canada - Earth Sciences sector
- NSERC Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (Students and Fellows)
- Geology Ontario (geological survey maps, reports and datases)
CIESIN Centre for International Earth Science Information Network (Columbia University)
- Communicating rocks: writing, speaking, and thinking about geology QE48.85.C67 2012
- Field hydrogeology: a guide for site investigations and report preparation GB1002.3.M66 2012
- Geowriting: a guide to writing, editing, and printing in earth science QE48.85.G44 1995
- Scientific style and format: the CSE manual for authors, editors and publishers T11.S386 2014
- Writing scientific research articles: strategy and steps, 2nd ed. (e-book)
- How to video: Writing the Research Paper
- CSE (Council of Science Editors) Citation Style (Carleton University Library)
- Citing your sources
- Using Scientific Style tip sheet (based on the CSE Manual for authors, editors and publishers, T11.S386 2014)
- Citation Management tools (Mendeley, Zotero, EndNote Basic)