Welcome to the library research guide for Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering at Carleton University. Scroll down to the Reference Materials section to find Encyclopedias, Dictionaries, and Handbooks.
Get background information from handbooks, encyclopedias, dictionaries.
Encyclopedias and Dictionaries
- Electrochemical dictionary [electronic resource] / Allen J. Bard, György Inzelt, Fritz Scholz (Eds.)
- Encyclopedia of software engineering [electronic resource].
- TechEncyclopedia Contains more than 15,000 definitions about the computer field and IT industry.
- Springer handbook of lasers and optics [electronic resource] / Frank Träger (ed.).
- The VLSI handbook [electronic resource] / edited by Wai-Kai Chen.
- AutoCAD 2009 and AutoCAD LT 2009 [electronic resource] : no experience required / Jon McFarland.
- Springer handbook of nanotechnology [electronic resource] / Bharat Bhushan (ed.).
- Handbook of semiconductor interconnection technology [electronic resource] / edited by Geraldine C. Schwartz, Kris V. Srikrishnan.
- Handbook of engineering electromagnetics [electronic resource] / edited by Rajeev Bansal.
- The handbook of photonics [electronic resource] / edited by Mool C. Gupta, John Ballato.
Once your topic is narrowly defined, select databases to find specific articles that have been published in journals.
- Academic OneFile
- ACM Digital Library
- Dissertations and Theses Global
- SPIE Digital Library Database
- SpringerLink Journals
- Taylor & Francis Journals Online
- Web of Science
- Web of Science Core Collection
- Progress in Quantum Electronics [electronic resource]. Peer Reviewed
- IEEE transactions on fuzzy systems. Peer Reviewed
- IEEE signal processing magazine. [electronic resource]. Peer Reviewed
- IEEE transactions on industrial electronics. Peer Reviewed
- IEEE transactions on pattern analysis and machine intelligence. [electronic resource]. Peer Reviewed
- Proceedings of the IEEE. Peer Reviewed
- IEEE industrial electronics magazine [electronic resource].
- IEEE communications magazine.
- IEEE transactions on power electronics. Peer Reviewed
- Neural Networks and Learning Systems, IEEE Transactions on
- Publication Cycle (Engineering & Science)
- Begin by defining exactly what you are searching for
- Select the keywords/synonyms in your topic
- Be specific when determining keywords/synonyms and terms to search
- Use the advanced interface of electronic databases and Internet search engines to help narrow your search
- Limit results in electronic databases to full-text or peer reviewed journals only
- Use Boolean Operators to connect search terms (Click for a brief explanation of Boolean Operators)
- Take notes during your research to keep track of where you have been, keywords searched, what worked and what didn't, etc.
- Google search secrets [electronic resource] / Christa Burns and Michael P. Sauers.
Write down or store all the references you have consulted to include them in your bibliography of your research paper (e.g., Refworks)
- Advice on Research and Writing
- IEEE Citation style guide
- Citing Electronic Resources
- Technical Report Writing (from NASA)
- Academic Writing Centre and the Writing Tutorial Service Get one-on-one help with the entire writing process.
- Science and technology research : writing strategies for students / Tina M. Neville, Deborah B. Henry, Bruce D. Neville.
- Writing Guidelines for Engineering and Science Students
- The craft of editing : a guide for managers, scientists, and engineers / Michael Alley.
- The Oxford guide to library research [electronic resource] / Thomas Mann.
- Annual Reviews Online / Authoritative, analytic reviews in 34 focused disciplines within the Biomedical, Life, Physical, and Social Sciences. They synthesize the vast amount of primary research literature and identify the principal contributions in each field.