This guide provides links to official sources of information relating to public policy and statistics in the energy sector.
https://library.carleton.ca/find/databases/oecd-ilibraryCanada - Federal:
- Energy Efficiency Act (1992) and amended Energy Efficiency Regulations (1995)
- EcoENERGY Efficiency Initiatives (archived)
Canada - Provincial:
- Green Energy Act (2009)
- See the Data Centre's holdings of surveys on Energy.
- Natural Resources Canada Energy Sector
- Statistics Canada
- Tables by subject: Energy
- Energy publications (via Depository Services) in Transportation, Communication, Utilities (see catalogue numbers 57-001 to 57-601) including Energy Statistics Handbook (57-601-XIE) which provides current monthly and historical annual energy data covering the last 12 years.
- Energy consumption and disposition includes energy production, trade, interprovincial movements, conversion, and consumption by fuel source for all sectors in Canada.
- Human activity and the environment: annual statistics
- Canadian environmental sustainability indicators: greenhouse gas emissions (2016)
- Taking action: moving forward together on energy research, technology and innovation (2015)
- U.S. Department of Energy Prices and Trends
Find current and historical pricing information of energy sources.
- Energy Information Administration
- Data.Gov provides energy related datasets at the national level.
- National Renewable Energy Laboratory Western Region Renewable Energy Markets: Implications for the Bureau of Land Management, 2012
EurObserv'ER (non-governmental organization) Since 1998, The EurObserv'ER barometer measures the progress made by renewable energies in each sector and in each member State of the European Union in an as up-to-date way as possible. It publishes an annual report assessing all forms of renewable energy: The state of renewable energies in Europe (2015 ed.)
International Energy Agency
- World Energy Outlook Executive Summary presents updated projections of energy demand, production, trade and investment, fuel by fuel and region by region to 2040.
- IEA Statistics, notably Energy Balances Statistics
- Renewables information includes statistics on renewables and waste energy sources.
- Energy Statistics Database basic statistics for more than 220 countries/territories. Currently, the database provides time series for the period 1950-2013 and is updated annually during the period October-November.
- Environment and Energy Statistics
- UN Data
- World Bank Open Data including databases such as World development indicators
Canada - Federal
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation Energy efficiency
- Biofuels - an energy, environmental or agricultural policy?
- Energy related publications
- Energy Background papers (1993-2001)
National Energy Board
- Canadian Energy Overview (2012- )
Natural Resources Canada
- Renewable Energy
- Buildings and communities and CanmetENERGY
- Office of Energy Efficiency
Canada - Provincial:
- Department of Energy Key Initiatives
- Auditor General of Ontario 2013 Annual report, chapter 4: Ministry of Energy Renewable Energy Initiatives: Follow-up
- Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO) is an independent agency created by legislation. Every five minutes, the IESO forecasts consumption throughout the province and collects the best offers from generators to provide the required amount of electricity.
- Ministry of Energy reports
- Ministry of the Environment Green Energy
United States - Federal
- Alternative Energy Topic Search (Congressional Research Service) (UNT)
- Energy.gov with a link to the Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy ; see also Green Power Network
- United States Energy Information Administration website is searchable by geography, fuel, sector and price.
- Energy and the Environment (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency) links to alternative energy programs for the consumer.
- General Accounting Office Biofuels topic collection
- Library of Congress Science Tracer Bullets have brief introductions to the topics, lists of resources and strategies for finding more. They cover topics such as biomass energy, geothermal energy, solar energy and wind power.
- NTRL (National Technical Reports Library) Free to access full text technical reports (restration required)
- OSTI.GOV is a portal to free technical reports, journal articles, bibliographic citations, etc. by the U.S. Department of Energy.
- U.S. Bureau of Ocean Energy Management has section on renewable energy in relation to ocean/offshore energy
- United States Congressional Research Service "Gasoline Excise Tax - historical revenues: fact sheet".
- National Renewable Energy Laboratory is a federal laboratory dedicated to the research, development, commercialization and deployment of renewable energy and energy efficiency technologies.
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL)
- Enerweb is a European energy efficiency site.
- Europe's energy portal
- European Commission Energy policies
- ManagEnergy supports energy initiatives created at local and regional level in theEuropean Commission.
- Promotion of renewable energy sources in the EU (2016)
International Energy Agency
International Renewable Energy Agency
- RESOURCE is the gateway to IRENA's policy, resource and financial knowledge on renewable energy on various countries around the globe.
- BASE is a sustainable finance initiative developed by the Basel Agency for Sustainable Energy, United Nations and other partners to encourage clean energies implementation worldwide.
- UN-Energy is the United Nations’ mechanism for inter-agency collaboration in the field of energy.
- AWEA Maps (American Wind Energy Association) (non-governmental)
- Atlas of Canada Energy maps
- Canadian wind energy atlas (Environment Canada).
- Energy.Gov Maps
- International Energy Agency dynamic energy maps and International small-hydro atlas
- NREL interactive mapping tools such as these International Maps
- New Brunswick Wind Atlas
- Renewables.ninja can be used to determine the amount of renewable energy output produced worldwide
- U.S. current wind flow map
- USGS Energy Resources (Program) includes resources on other energy, i.e. wind energy
Non-governmental sources of information relating to renewable resource issues
- Canadian Energy Research Institute (a non-governmental Canadian industry-based energy information centre)
- Canadian Industrial Energy End-Use Dta and Analysis Centre's (CIEEDAC) energy databases
- Database of State Incentives for Renewables and Efficiency (DSIRE)
Includes federal and local incentives
- Energy Resources Program (USGS) includes resources on other energies, i.e. wind energy
- Environmental and Energy Study Institute (EESI)
- Renewable Energy World provides the latest information on renewable energy news
- World Resources Institute's Energy searchable website