Handbooks and encyclopedias often give a good overview of a subject area and provide relevant background information, as well as key terms that can be used when searching the databases. Search for them in the library's catalogue by Keyword.
- The Blackwell encyclopedia of management [electronic resource]
A multi volume set covering all streams of business. V. 3 is Entrepreneurship
- Encyclopedia of technology and innovation management [electronic resource]
- Handbook of research on social entrepreneurship
- The social entrepreneur's playbook [electronic resource] : pressure test, plan, launch and scale your social enterprise
- Handbook on entrepreneurship research [electronic resource]
- Vocabulaire de la création d'entreprise par essaimage incluant la terminologie élémentaire de la restructuration par scission
In the library catalogue, search by Keyword or Subject to find books by a topic. To search multiple words not as a phrase do a Keyword search and use Boolean Operations -
AND to find all of the words in any order
OR to find any of the words
AND NOT to exclude one or more words
Keyword entrepreneurship and financ*
(entrepreneurship or family-owned buisness entreprises ) and management
A single * symbol will find any ending up to 5 characters. finance* will retreive finance, financial, financier, financially, etc.
A full list of search tips is available at the Keyword Searching page.
Suggested subject headings include:
- business planning
- family owned buisness enterprises
- new business enterprises
- small business
- venture capital
- entrepreneurship - biography
- entrepreneurship -- handbooks, manuals, etc.
- social entrepreneurship -- Law and legislation -- Canada
While the Library purchases very few textbooks, the following titles provide a good starting point. Students may wish to contact the University bookstore for titles not held by the Library.
- Hisrich, Robert D., [et al.], Entrepreneurship, 2nd Cdn edition 2009
- Bygrave, William and Andrew Zacharakis. Entrepreneurship 2008
- Entrepreneurial marketing : an effectual approach
- The entrepreneur's guide to market research
- Growing an entrepreneurial business : concepts and cases
- Business planning for entrepreneurs [electronic resource]
- Understanding social entrepreneurship : the relentless pursuit of mission in an ever changing world
E-book titles available at Carleton are in the Library Catalogue and will be retrieved by an Author, Title, Subject and Keyword search. Or you may browse our e-book collections.
Relevant eBook Collections:
Blackwell Reference Online: Business & Management
Cambridge University Press eBooks
Columbia International Affairs Online
eScholarship elibrary from the Univeristy of California Press
MyiLibrary includes ebooks from Cambridge University Press, Oxford University Press and Taylor & Francis
Oxford Scholarship Online: Economics & Finance
Oxford Scholarship Online: Business & Management
Oxford University Press eBooks
Safari Tech Books Online
Scholars Portal Books
Springer ebooks (via SpringerLink)
Taylor & Francis
Wiley Online Library
When searching in Business Source Complete on the Advanced Search Page, scroll down to filter your results by different publication types.
For example: limit to academic journal will find scholarly articles in titles such as Journal of Small Business & Entrepreneurship
limit to periodical to find articles in magazines such as Entrepreneur, Business Today etc.
limit to trade journal to find articles in titles with a focus on a particular industry such as Computer Weekly, Franchising World etc.
Other databases include
- Canadian Business & Current Affairs Database
- Emerald Management eJournals
- Passport (Global Marketing Information Database)
- Derwent Innovations Index (International patent information)
- Design and Applied Arts Index (Core industrial design literature)
- EI Engineering Village (Industrial design related applied engineering literature)
Knovel Library (Applied engineering handbooks and dictionaries)
- Bloomberg News
- Globe and Mail Report on Small Business
- PressReader PDFs to more than 2300 newspapers from 100 countries in over 55 languages. The collection currently has over 2,300 titles. The coverage is from 60 - 90 days and it includes the Ottawa Business Journal. Look for the Book of Lists - rankings of Ottawa companys by industry from the OBJ. For older issues of the OBJ, go to the Ottawa Public Library.
- Canadian Business & Current Affairs Provides full text to Canadian business journals and magazines.
- Canadian Newsstream Access to over 280 Canadian news sources
- Eureka Fulltext Canadian French and English newspapers from Alberta, the Atlantic provinces, Québec and aboriginal communities. Includes fulltext transcripts radio and television broadcats from CBC, CTV and SRC.
- Factiva (Globe and Mail and the Wall Street Journal live here)
- Wire Report The leading news service covering Canada's rapidly converging telecom and media sectors.
- Journalist's resource: research on today's news topics
The following titles are available online through the Library catalogue:
- Canadian company capabilities [electronic resource] An online database with over 35,000 Canadian companies and 200,000 products and services.
- Ottawa Knowledge-based Industry Database
- Scottsinfo.com Online Canadian business and manufacturing directory, listing manufacturers, wholesalers, distributors and business services. Includes more than 115,000 companies and 210,000 executive contacts.
- Frasers Open access directory of Canadian suppliers, manufacturers and distributors.
- Canadian Trade Index Annual directory published by the Canadian Manufacturers' Association.
Search NAICS 2007 to get the NAICS code for an industry.
Company Financial Data
Global (includes Canadian data)
Access limited to a single workstation in library. See our help guides for instructions and tips.
- Mergent Online Includes Mergent Industry Reports.
- Business Source Complete - search your topic, product, company or industry. Under Refine your results choose Industry Overview.
- Bloomberg - Access limited to a single workstation in library. See our help guides for instructions and tips.
- Mergent Online - when connected, select the Report Search tab from the menu. Select industry of interest and then geographical region.
- Factiva - mouse over Companies/Markets from menu bar at top of page, select Industry. Select industry from the list provided. Published profiles are found under Analysis and Profiles from menu on left.
- Passport - Select Industries from the menu tab and narrow by country. Tip - choose the industry plus specific parts of industry as there is often more than one industry profile.
- Conference Board of Canada e-Library - Browse by topic -> Industry Sector Economics for industry profiles or enter industry name in the search box.
- Wire Report - The leading news service covering Canada's rapidly converging telecom and media sectors.
- HighBeam Business: Industry Reports Free industry reports from The Gale Group on US industries.
- Passport - select the consumer tab for global information on population, income and expenditure, lifestyles etc.
- Vividata - provides statistics on Canadian consumer preferences.
- Click on the link above to Vividata.
- From the Vividata home page type in your email address in the box under Support and press submit.
- Mouse over Resources at the top of the page and select Educational Resources. Click on the tab Products and Demographics.
- If a password is requested email firstname.lastname@example.org for help.
hatch - a student-led entrepreneurship program dedicated to providing its members with entrepreneurial options through social and business networking within and outside of Carleton University.
Lead to Win Carleton University based community program comprised of individuals and organizations that come together to support students in post-secondary institutions and community entrepreneurs launch and grow their ventures.
Entrepreneurship @ Carleton University
Entrepreneurship - Sprott School of Business
Entrepreneurship (Master's) - Programs - Graduate Admissions
Technology Innovation Management (TIM)
Sprott Centre for Social Enterprises
Entrepreneurship: Alumni Mentors
Ottawa Public Library Small Business Program - workshops and information sessions are offered on a regular basis.
Ottawa Business Journal
Ottawa Business Journal Book of Lists - available on PressReader
Invest Ottawa - a non-profit organization that facilitates economic growth and job creation in the city of Ottawa.
Ottawa Better Business Bureau
Ottawa Chamber of Commerce
Writing a business plan:
- Entrepreneur's Toolkit from the Business Development Bank of Canada. Includes Business and Marketing Plan templates.
- Sample Business Plans and Templates from the Canada Business Network
- BPlans - a free resource from Palo Alto Sofware Inc providing over 500 sample business plans plus info on start-up, funding, etc.
Search by Subject in the catalogue Business Writing
- The AMA handbook of business documents
- AMA handbook of business writing
- The Best Business Writing 2015
Citing Business Sources
- Citation Guide Excellent guide to citing business sources in Chicago Style from Harvard Business School
- Chicago Manual of Style Online
- Citation guides prepared by Carleton library
- Citation management
- Citing Data & Statistics