This research guide is designed for faculty and students doing research in Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies.
Define and get an overview of your topic or find definitions of key terms and concepts:
- Leaders of Russia
- The President of the Russian Federation
Official government site. Available in English and Russian.
- EU Presidents – who does what?
- Nations in Transit
Government Information -Canadian or International background information
- Universal Database of Russian Governmental Publications
- Historical Archives of the European Union (HAEU)
This Archive contains the original references of files and organizational structure for several European institutions.
- Archive of European Integration
- EuroStat Country Profiles
Covers 10 years of major statistical indicators for 27 member states.
- European historical statistics 1750-1975
- International historical statistics : Europe, 1750-1993
- Universal Database of Russian/NIS Statistical Publications (UDB-STAT)
Think Tank - limited to think tanks dealing in public policy, including NGOs (non-governmental organizations)
- Think Tank Search (Harvard University) – think tanks can give an appreciation of government action or inaction in an area
- Google Custom Search: Think Tanks
- Dictionary of the European Union (online)
- A glossary of the European Union (online)
- Europe since 1945: an Encyclopedia (online)
- Handbook for European Union election observation (online)
- The Oxford handbook of the European Union JN30 .O94 2012
- Encyclopedia of contemporary Russian culture DK510.32.E53 2007
- Routledge handbook of Russian politics and society JN6695 .R693 2012
- Bolshaia entsikloped¯iia : v shestidesiati dvukh tomakh AE55.B585 2006
Explore your topic
Use search engine on the library home page to search for books, journal articles, newspapers....
Use this search when starting research on a topic or when you are not sure which databases to use.
Fulltext eBook Collections:
SAGE Research Methods (supports beginning and advanced researchers throughout a research project, from writing a research question, choosing a method, gathering and analyzing data, to writing up and publishing the findings)
Cambridge University Press eBooks
Columbia International Affairs Online
Oxford University Press eBooks
eBook Collection (EBSCOhost)
Canadian Publishers Collection
Wiley Online Journals
Digi 20 - A full-text edition of over 4000 German-language monographs in the humanities and social sciences from major German academic presses
OstDok - Eastern European Documents online. Includes digitized versions of academic monographs and periodicals in Eastern European studies
Explore the journal titled Canadian Journal of European and Russian Studies published by the Centre for European Studies at Carleton University.
Russian National Bibliography
Political Science Database (previously ProQuest Political Science)
PAIS Index (previously PAIS International)
Worldwide Political Science Abstracts
International Political Science Abstracts
Foreign Broadcast Information Service (FBIS) Daily Reports
Central and Eastern European Online Library
IHS Jane's: Defence & Security Intelligence & Analysis
Dissertations and Theses Global
Citation searching will help you identify important journals and articles. The impact factor (IF) measures the average number of citations to articles published in a journal.
Use Journal Citation Reports to evaluate and compare the impact of scholarly journals
Use Citation Indexes to find if a particular author and/or paper has been cited by other authors.
Web of Science
Select Cited Reference Search from top tool bar.
You have the article
Sahadeo, J. (2005). Epidemic and empire: Ethnicity, class, and "Civilization" in the 1892 Tashkent Cholera Riot. Slavic Review 64 (1), 117-139. doi: 10.2307/3650069
Enter one author in cited author box
(use surname, first initial and truncation symbol)
Retrieve abbreviation of journal name from list provided, and enter year of publication. World Polit
Deselect disciplines not relevant from listing under Citation Databases
From the list, select the article and click on Finish Search at the top of the list.
Note the option Create Alert to be notified of any future citings of this article.
Choose Author Search from top tool bar.
Enter author's name and affiliation if known
Select displayed result. On right hand side all published articles by the author will be listed. Click on article for citing references.
Hurrelmann, A., Gora, A., & Wagner, A. (2015). The politicization of European integration: More than an elite affair? Political Studies 63 (1), 43-59. doi: 10.1111/1467-9248.12090
If you know the name of a journal, look it up by its journal title in the catalogue. If you don't know journal names, you can search for journals in the catalogue. Try the subject headings:
Google Scholar also tracks how many times an item is cited by other documents
For current newspapers/news:
For historical Canadian & other newspapers:
- The Globe and Mail: Canada's Heritage from 1844
- New York Times 1851-2005
- Toronto Star: Pages of the Past
- Times Digital Archive 1785-1985
- Guardian (1821-2003)
- Argumenty i Fakty
A popular weekly writing on all subjects. Boasts the biggest circulation among Russian weeklies.
- Current Digest of the Post Soviet Press
Each week, it presents a selection of Russian-language press materials, translated into English.
- The Center for Research Libraries (CRL catalog)
A great institution to check for historical documents, newspapers, journals, archives and other sources. "The Center for Research Libraries (CRL) is a consortium of North American universities, colleges, and independent research libraries. The consortium acquires and preserves newspapers, journals, documents, archives, and other traditional and digital resources for research and teaching and makes them available to member institutions through interlibrary loan and electronic delivery." Carleton University Library is a member of CRL.
- German History in Documents and Images
A collection of primary source materials documenting Germany's political, social, and cultural history from 1500 to the present.
- Illustrated London News Historical Archive, 1842-2003
The listing below are the websites of major EU institutions:
- Committee of the Regions
- Council of the European Union
- European Court of Justice
- European Economic and Social Committee
- European Agencies and other EU Bodies
- European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
- European Central Bank
- European Commission
- European Investment Bank
- European Ombudsman
- European Parliament
News and negotiations regarding Brexit following the 23 June 2016 vote for Britain to leave the European Union. Includes the latest press releases, the negotiation process, documents etc.
EUR-Lex: Access to European Union Law
The EUR-Lex database provides free access to the following:
- The Official Journal of the European Union
- EU law (EU treaties, directives, regulations, decisions, consolidated legislation, etc.)
- Preparatory acts (legislative proposals, reports, green and white papers, etc.)
- EU case-law (judgements, orders, etc.)
- International agreements
- EFTA (European Free Trade Association) documents
- National Library of Russia
- State Archive of the Russian Federation
- Russian State Library
- Union catalogue of Russian Libraries (244 libraries)
- Russian Law Resources
- Political posters (The New York Public Library)
- Union Catalog of Kyrgyz Libraries
- National Library of Azerbaijan
- National Parliamentary Library of Georgia
- The National Library of Armenia
- Archives Nationale (France)
- Das Bundesarchiv (Germany)
- National Archives UK
- United Nations Treaty Collection (1946- )
- United States National Archives and Records Administration
- National Library of Poland
- NUKAT (a union catalogue of Polish academic and research libraries)
- National Library of the Czech Republic
- Slovak National Library
- National Library of Hungary
- National Library of Ukraine
- National Library of Moldova
- Library of Congress
- Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty
Contains daily reports of developments in Eastern Europe.
- Radio Prague
An international broadcast station for the Czech Republic. Currently broadcast in five languages: English, Czech, German,
Spanish and French. Covers Russia, the Caucasus and Central Asia.
- Interfax News Agency
Website for news and information on Russia, CIS and Baltic countries.
- Central Asia-Caucasus Analyst
From Central Asia-Caucasus Institute, Johns Hopkins University.
- Russian public opinion center
- Всероссийский центр изучения общественного мнения (ВЦИОМ)
Russian Public Opinion Research Center (VCIOM). The "База данных" section includes a searchable database with data 1992-present; articles on current issues; ratings, conference reports, exit-poll data; data from ongoing projects. Other useful sections include Новости (News) and Выборы-2012 (Elections-2012).
Левада-Центр - Includes an omnibus survey service. Archive (Архив) includes a list of previous surveys and results. Data from some specific projects are available freely online. Includes several indexes of current PO data of general interest.
- Всероссийский центр изучения общественного мнения (ВЦИОМ)
Citing Print and Electronic Resources
- Citing Your Sources Library guide
- Citing Government Information
- Citing Sources From Duke University. This guide provides examples of citations in APA, Chicago, MLA,and Turabian styles for both print and electronic resources.
Thesis & Dissertation Writing Guides
- Mapping your thesis; the comprehensive manual of theory and techniques for masters and doctoral research
- Doing dissertations in politics
- Research literacies and writing pedagogies for masters and doctoral writers
How to write a literature review
- Conducting a Literature Review
- How to write a literature review (Concordia University Libraries)
- Literature reviews (University of N. Carolina, Chapel Hill)
- Conducting research literature reviews : from the Internet to paper Q180.55.M4 F56 2010
- Doing your literature review : traditional and systematic techniques H62 .J44 2011
- How to research Q180.55.M4 B59 2010 [chapter 4]
- Information skills : finding and using the right resources ZA3075 .G75 2010 [chapter 2]
- The literature review : a step-by-step guide for students LB2369 .R525 2012
- Social research methods : qualitative and quantitative approaches HM571 .N48 2011 [chapter 5]
- Systematic approaches to a successful literature review LB1047.3 .B6 2012
- Telling a research story: writing a literature review LB2389.F43 2009
- Writing literature reviews : a guide for students of the social and behavioral sciences H62 .G35 2017
- Writing Essays and Preparing Theses
- Thomson-Nelson Guide to Research and Writing in Political Science. JA86 .C43 2006
- Political science research methods JA73 .J64 2020
- Politics on the Internet: A Student Guide. JA86.B83 2005 (online)
- A Student's guide for Writing in Political Science JA86.M37
- Writing in Political Science: A Practical Guide JA86.S36 2005
- How to map arguments in political science JA71.P37 2007
- Information skills: finding and using the right resources ZA3075 .G75 2010
- The postgraduate research handbook : succeed with your MA, MPhil, EdD and PhD LB 2371.W576 2008
- The essential guide : research writing across the disciplines LB2369.L399 2005