Information and resources for the study of the European Union. An organization that unites 27 European countries through common laws, economics, and security.
Carleton University is home to the Centre for European Studies (CES)
A Brief History
- The history of the European Union
- Archive of European Integration (AEI)
- Historical Archives of the European Commission
- Centre Virtuel de la Connaissance sur l'Europe Historical and institutional evolution of Europe from 1945 to the present.
- Chaillot Papers
- European Integration History Index
- Historical Archives of the European Communities
- History of the European Union
Learn the Basics
- Europa - the official website of the European Union.
- The European Union: a bibliography (Memorial University)
- A Dictionary of the European Union
- The European Union
- The handbook of European defense policies and armed forces
- The European Union and Global Governance
- European Union Politics
- Europe from A to Z guide to European integration
- The European Union--how does it work?
- The Oxford Handbook of the European Union
- Understanding the European Union : a concise introduction
- EUR-Lex Treaties listings
- Europa Treaties listings
- Official Journal - consolidated versions of the treaties, with incorporated changes, through the Treaty of Lisbon
- International Legal Materials
- European Union Legal Materials: An Infrequent User’s Guide (GlobaLex)
An analytical database of worldwide economic indicators and forecasts, providing more than 300 series on 150 countries and 45 regional aggregates, running from 1980 and forward to 2005.
Covers key historical events, population, city profiles, social statistics, climate, recent elections, current leaders, defence, international relations, economy, energy and natural resources, industry, international trade, religion, culture, and diplomatic representatives.
From the EU
- EU Newsroom
- European Delegation to Canada Press & Media
- European Commission: Press Corner
- European Parliament: News and Think Tank briefings
About the EU & Europe
- EURACTIV - A media network collecting news from a variety of organizations in various European capitals, in multiple languages, related to the European Union.
- EUobserver - An independent online newspaper based in Brussels covering EU news.
- POLITICO Europe - International news from a European perspective.
- EUTube Video campaigns and relevant information about policies on Europe
- BBC News: Europe
- European Sources Online (ESO) information service
- ENDSEurope -Environmental news and information specific to Europe.
Consult the News Guide for details on additional news sources
- Eurostat -Website for the statistical office of the EU.
- European Values Study -A cross-national study repeated occasionally from 1981-2017 with data about family, politics, work and leisure, environment, religion and morality, and national identity for adult citizens in Europe.
- Eurobarometer -Public opinion polls conducted twice yearly by the EU
- European Parliament Legislative Observatory (OEIL)
- European Quality of life surveys
- European Asylum Support Office analysis and statistics
- European Health for All Database (HFA-DB)
- European Drug Report
- European working conditions surveys
- Gender Equality Index
- Statistical Data Warehouse (European Central Bank)
- Paris21 - The Partnership in Statistics for Development in the 21st Century
- European Parliamentary Research Service is blogging statistical spotlights
- Index to international statistics
- International historical statistics : Europe, 1750-1993
- EU Open Data Portal - Access to open data published by EU institutions and bodies
- UN data
- World Bank data
- IMF Data
- OECD Statistics portal
European Union Resources
- EUR-Lex Provides access to EU law, other public documents, and the Official Journal of the EU.
- N-Lex - European Union national law
- Curia - Case-law search engine from the European Court of Justice
- European Law Monitor -Non-political, not-for-profit, information service that provides citizens and organizations across Europe with information on the European Union
- eu-LISA - large-scale IT systems in the area of freedom, security and justice
- European Council on Foreign Relations is a pan-European think-tank
- Europol - the European Union’s law enforcement agency
- FRONTEX is the European Agency for the Management of Operational Cooperation at the External Borders of the Member States of the European Union
- Centre for European Policy Studies: think tank and forum for debate on EU affairs
- Foundation Robert Schuman
European Union Institutions
- European Council - sets the EU's overall political direction.
- European Parliament: represents the EU’s citizens and is directly elected by them.
- Council of the European Union: represents the governments of the individual member countries.
- European Commission: represents the interests of the Union as a whole.
- Court of Justice of the EU upholds the rule of European law.
- Court of Auditors checks the financing of the EU's activities.
- European Central Bank is responsible for European monetary policy.
- European External Action Service (EEAS) assists the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, currently Federica Mogherini.
- European Economic and Social Committee represents civil society, employers and employees.
- Committee of the Regions represents regional and local authorities.
- European Investment Bank finances EU investment projects.
- European Ombudsman investigates complaints about maladministration by EU institutions and bodies.
- European Data Protection Supervisor safeguards the privacy of people’s personal data.
- Publications Office publishes information about the EU.
- European Personnel Selection Office recruits staff for the EU institutions and other bodies.
- European School of Administration provides training in specific areas for members of EU staff.
There are over 40 other specialized agencies and decentralized bodies that are part of the EU.
- Libraries of EU institutions and Digital libraries
- European Parliamentary Research Service
- Europeana: source of cultural heritage
- Archives Portal Europe: information on archival institutions throughout the continent