Begin with the company's 10K or annual report - usually found on their web site or by doing a google search of company name and 10K or annual report. Read the Management Discussion and Analysis - (MD&A) section of the Annual Report or 10k. Read the letter to the shareholders from the CEO in the company's annual report.
Global (includes Canadian data)
- Bloomberg Available at workstations on the main floor. Provides financial data dating back to 1990.
- Mergent Online
- EDGAR Database of public company filings from the SEC.
- LexisNexis Academic From the title page, select Get Company Info
- GMID Select Companies from the top tab and key in your company name. Select relevant segment and open the profile. Look in the table of contents for a SWOT analysis
- Business Source Complete Search for your company and limit to SWOT from filters listed below the search box.
No SWOT for your company - try a competitor. External factors will affect all companies in an industry.
Bloomberg Type ANR when on a company's page to get analyst reports.
- JUST Capital - provides information and rankings on how large corporations perform on issues that matter most to the public.
- Forbes - The Companies With The Best CSR Reputations In The World
- Global 100 Most Sustainable Corporations in the World index
- The Top 1000 from the Globe & Mail published each year in the June issued of the Report on Business Magazine. Search Top 1000, sort by most recent first.
- The FP500
- Fortune 500
- CRSP Includes the CRSP1925 US Stock Database and CRSP 1925 US Indices Database.
- Factiva - Select Companies/Markets tab at the top.
- TSX E-review
- Bloomberg Type a company ticker, hit the yellow CORP key, followed by GO for a list of bonds issued by the company and its subsidiaries.
- FP bonds. Government
- FP bonds. Corporate
- Bloomberg Type ANR when on a company's page to get analyst reports.
Structural Analysis of a Industry using Porter's 5 Forces.
- Begin with Business Source Complete.
Select Industry Profiles from menu on right hand side. Browse alphabetically to search by industry.
Search under BI for aggregrate data
- Mergent Online
Select the Report Search tab from the menu. Select industry of interest and then geographical region.
Go to Industries at the top of the page, select the relevant industry or industries and narrow by country or countries. Tip - choose the industry plus specific parts of industry as there is often more than one industry profile.
Mouse over Companies/Markets from menu bar at top of page, select Industry. Select industry from the list provided.
- Conference Board of Canada e-Library
Browse by topic -> Industry Sector Economics for industry profiles or enter industry name in the search box.
- HighBeam Business: Industry Reports
Free industry reports from The Gale Group on US industries.
Specialized reports from reputable sources:
- World Energy Outlook 2016 from the OECD
- Global Auto Report from Scotiabank
- J.D Power offers some info on ratings and customer satisfaction surveys for free.
- Look to investment and consulting firms for research on industries:
Look for valuable information and data from trade associations Google the industry + country + associations to find trade associations
- Canada - Statistics Canada CANSIM
- Canadian Industry Statistics (Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada)
- North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) Canada 2017 (use PDF to search)
- United States - Census Bureau
- United States - Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Visualizations of Industry Data
Trade Journals and Business Magazines
- Business Source Complete
- Canadian Business & Current Affairs
- Lexis/Nexis Academic Universe- Canada
- Business Source Complete (limit to Scholarly (Peer Reviewed) Journals)
- Emerald Management eJournals
- Google Scholar be sure to read the Search Guide for tips on seaching and access
- PAIS (Public Affairs Information Service)
- Web of Science
Good to know:
- Within a database, limit your search to scholarly articles when it is appropriate to disregard other resources.
- Never limit to full-text only as we may subscribe to the journal you find from another vendor. Use the Get it! icon to search for the full text when it is not immediately available.
- Use available options to search more than one database at a time.
- Look for the option to set up an RSS feed or to Create an Alert. You are then notified when a new entry is added to the database that meets your search criteria.
- Use the Interlibrary Loans RACER form to request items not held at Carleton’s library.
- Bloomberg News
- Canadian Business & Current Affairs Provides full text to Canadian business journals and magazines.
- Canadian Newsstand Access to over 280 Canadian news sources
- Eureka Fulltext Canadian French and English newspapers from Alberta, the Atlantic provinces, Québec and aboriginal communities. Includes fulltext transcripts radio and television broadcats from CBC, CTV and SRC.
- Factiva (Globe and Mail and the Wall Street Journal live here)
- PressReader PDFs to more than 2300 newspapers from 97 countries in over 55 languages.
- Wire Report The leading news service covering Canada's rapidly converging telecom and media sectors.
- Journalist's resource: research on today's news topics
The following titles are available online through the Library catalogue:
Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
- The Blackwell encyclopedia of management
- Essential investment : an A-Z guide
- Encyclopedic dictionary of international finance and banking
- A dictionary of finance and banking
- Oxford scholarship online - select Economics & Finance
- Vocabulaire de la gestion des finances publiques. Vocabulary of government finance management
- The encyclopedia of commodity and financial spreads
- The Federal Reserve System : an enc yclopedia
- Oxford handbook of banking
- The investment assets handbook
- The banking crisis handbook
- The handbook of commodity investing
- The credit derivatives handbook : global perspectives, innovations, and market drivers
- The money markets handbook
- Taming the money sharks
- The risk modeling evaluation handbook : rethinking financial risk management methodologies in the global capital markets
- The valuation handbook : valuation techniques from today's top practitioners