Reference materials are excellent resources for finding background information and getting ideas for essay topics.
- Dictionary of globalization
- Encyclopedia of globalization
- Encyclopedia of international development
- Globalization: a reference handbook
- Globalization and development: a glossary
- Handbook of globalization, governance, and public administration
- International development governance
- New Palgrave dictionary of economics online
- Oxford Reference
- The Palgrave dictionary of transnational history
- Tips for choosing an essay topic
- Online Writing Lab (OWL) at Purdue University excellent resource for all aspects of the writing process - including
The library's search tool, Summon, allows you to search for books, journal articles, media, and more with a single search. You can access Summon from the library's homepage. Also try the Advanced Search.
When searching Summon, consider the following:
Once you have your results:
- To see only BOOKS click on Book/eBook.
- To see only JOURNAL ARTICLES click on Journal Article and click on Scholarly & Peer-Review.
Because there will be many results, it is important to narrow your search.
- Content Type
- Publication Date
- Subject Terms
- Library Location
When to Use Summon:
Do a keyword search using boolean operators:
Connect keywords using AND. E.g. sustainable energy and policy
Connect synonyms with OR. E.g. (renewable or sustainable) and energy
Use truncation * to expand results. E.g. canad* will search Canada, Canadian or Canadians
When using more than one operator, use parentheses to group words.
Example: energy and (efficiency or renewable or sustainable) and policy and Canad*
Keyword searching will retrieve print monographs, ebooks and reports by think tanks, research institutes as well as local and international governments. Narrow your search by scrolling down the record of a relevant title and clicking on the subject heading provided.
Suggested Subject Headings:
- Economic assistance -- Developing countries
May also search by individual country or region such as Economic Assistance - Africa
- Economic assistance, Canadian (or American, British etc)
- Globalization - Economic Aspects
- Globalization - Moral and ethical aspects
- Globalization - Political aspects
- Globalization - Social Aspects
- Developing countries - Economic conditions
- Developing countries - Economic policy
- EconLit with Full Text
- PAIS Index (previously PAIS International)
- International Political Science Abstracts
- Columbia International Affairs Online
- International Security and Counter Terrorism Reference Center
- Web of Science Core Collection
- World Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology Abstracts
- Worldwide Political Science Abstracts
Grey literature is an important source of information for research. It provides access to a broad range of information and often contains new ideas. Searching grey literature also offers the potential to balance any tendencies for publication bias found in published literature. It helps introduce alternative perspectives that may not be represented in standard literature.
Examples of grey literature include:
- technical or research reports
- committee reports
- market reports
- conference papers
- white papers
- conference presentations
- government documents
- preprint materials
- theses and dissertation
- clinical trials
Resources for finding grey literature
- Finding the Hard to Finds: Searching for Grey Literature - University of British Columbia
- GreyNet International Directory of organizations in grey literature from GreyNet International
- Grey Literature Report - provides updates to grey literature on health services and topics.
- Alternative Press Index
- Economics Search Engine (American Economic Association)
Policy Reports and Working Papers
- Brookings Institute
- Canadian Public Documents Collection
- Conference Board of Canada e-Library In addition to the e-Library, look to particular Centres for research on specific topics. Go to Conference Board of Canada and scroll down to the bottom of the page. Select Sitemap. Under Special Projects you will see Centre for the North, Centre for Food in Canada, How Canada Performs, etc.
- National Bureau of Economics Research (NBER) Working Papers
- Policy File Index (U.S.)
- Social Research and Demonstration Corporation A non-profit research organization, created specifically to develop, field test, and rigorously evaluate new programs.
- EIU Economist Intelligence Unit - provides current and historical economic data and forecasting.
- globalEdge excellent free site from Michigan State University which has a section on Emerging Markets. After selecting your country, look for the Country Commercial Guide... Also brings together a large number of ranking tools.
- World Economic Forum, Global Competitiveness Report for country rankings. Also includes the Global Risks report.
- World Bank, Doing Business provides objective measures of business regulations and their enforcement across 183 economies. Each economy is ranked according to 10 sets of indicators. These are combined into an overall "ease of doing business" ranking. See also the Regional Reports
- Enterprise Surveys provides country reports which provide a quick glance at business environment indicators and a graphing tool to create a custom graphic for the country of your choice.
- The World Bank also provides outlook information
- International Trade Centre - Countries/Territories - select pdf report for country
- Continuum Economics - global economic news
- World Competitiveness Online
- World Economic Outlook (IMF) database
- World Development Indicators
- Africa Development Indicators
- China Data Online
- Factiva (Globe and Mail, The Economist and the Wall Street Journal live here)
- Lexis-Nexis Academic
- Continuum Economics - daily updates on global economic news and issues.
- Canadian Newsstream Access to over 280 Canadian news sources
- PressReader provides pdf access to newspapers and magazines from more than 100 countries in over 55 languages. The collection currently exceeds 5,000 titles.
- Global Terrorism Database - provides information on terrorist attacks around the world since 1970 with annual updates
A small sample of titles available online through the Library catalogue: