This guide provides sources of information about Canadian and world-wide heritage conservation and parks.
Search Omni, the library's main search box, to easily find books or peer-reviewed journal articles on any topic.
- How to find books using Omni
- How to find journal articles using Omni
- When searching for journal articles, remember to refine your search by selecting the following options: Peer-Reviewed Journals, Articles, and Subject (optional), to obtain high quality, academic literature. Use the Omni Search Tips for more help.
- Arctic Science and Technoloigy Information System
- Canadian Business and Current Affairs
- Environment Index
- Web of Science
Note: If the library does not have what you need, you can order books and journal articles from other libraries through RACER but you need to register before you can start using it.
Canada and the provinces
- Museology and conservation
- Parks Canada is the federal agency with the mandate on behalf of the people of Canada, to protect and present nationally significant examples of Canada's natural and cultural heritage, and foster public understanding, appreciation and enjoyment in ways that ensure their ecological and commemorative integrity for present and future generations.
- Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada
- National Parks of Canada
- National Marine Conservation Areas
- National Historic Sites
- Rideau Canal National Historic Site
- World Heritage Sites in Canada
- Canadian Parks Council established in 1962 as the Federal Provincial Parks Council to enable Canada's national, provincial and territorial park agencies to work together to promote excellence in park planning and management, advance park and protected areas interests and facilitate cooperation between member agencies on matters of shared interest and responsibility.
- Commission of Conservation Canada (selected volumes via the Internet Archive) The Commission on Conservation (1909-1921) was established to advise the federal government on the conservation of human and natural resources. Print editions of these reports are available in the Carleton Library's collection. Search under author: Canada. Commission of Conservation.
- Conservation Ontario (a network of the 36 Conservation Authorities)
- Ontario Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport
- Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry
- Ontario Parks
- Algonquin Provincial Park
- Crown Land
- Natural Heritage Information Centre
Prince Edward Island
The Evolution of the Conservation Movement, 1850-1920 (Library of Congress, American Memory Project). This website documents the historical formation and cultural foundations of the movement to conserve and protect America's natural heritage, through books, pamphlets, government documents, manuscripts, prints, photographs, and motion picture footage drawn from the collections of the Library of Congress.
- National Parks Service
- Find a Park
- National Park Service History - includes Park Histories
- New York City Central Park
- English Heritage
- Historic England
- Institute of Historic Building Conservation - Resources
- Joint Nature Conservation Committee
- Natural England
- Scottish National Heritage
- Wildlife reserves and designated landscapes
- ASEAN Heritage Parks
- Cultural Heritage at the Council of Europe
- European Cultural Heritage Information Network (HEREIN)
- International Centre for the Study of the Preservation and Restoration of Cultural Property (ICCROM)
- International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN)
- Protected Areas
- IUCN World Heritage Natural Sites
- International Council on Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS)
- ICOMOS Canada
- Organization of World Heritage Cities
- UNEP World Conservation Monitoring Centre
- World Heritage Centre (Unesco)