Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
A dictionary of human resource management (Electronic resource)
Glossary of labour law and industrial relations
Roberts' dictionary of industrial relations
Encyclopaedia of Occupational Health and Safety 4th edition. Part of the Workplace Health and Safety Information Database from the ILO.
Historical dictionary of organized labor
The human resources glossary (Electronic resource)
Key concepts in human resource management
Labour law terms: a dictionary of Canadian labour law
Benefits and compensation glossary
Employee benefits desk encyclopedia
Work in America: an encyclopedia of history, policy and society
Canadian industrial relations and personnel developments
Blackwell handbook of mediation
Morneau Sobeco handbook of Canadian pension and benefit plans
Handbook of conflict management
Handbook of U.S. labor statistics : employment, earnings, prices, productivity, and other labor data
Occupational Outlook Handbook
Women and equality in the workplace : a reference handbook
- Canadian Business & Current Affairs Database
- Alternative Press Index and Alternative Press Index Archive
- EconLit with Full Text
- PAIS Index - provides citations and abstracts to articles and other documents in the area of public affairs and policy.
- Business Source Complete
- Gender & Work Database
- America History and Life - contains citations and abstracts to articles from journals in all areas of Canadian and U.S. history.
- CPI.Q - contains citations to Canadian English and French language journals.
- CISILO Database - bilingual, bibliographic database which provides references to international occupational health and safety literature.
- Labordoc from the ILO - international coverage of labour issues and topics.
- Sociological Abstracts
- Web of Science Core Collection
- WestlawNext Canada
Good to know:
- Within a database, limit your search to scholarly articles when it is appropriate to disregard other resources.
- Never limit to full-text only as we may subscribe to the journal you find from another vendor. Use the Get it! icon to search for the full text when it is not immediately available.
- Use available options to search more than one database at a time.
- Look for the option to set up an RSS feed or to Create an Alert. You are then notified when a new entry is added to the database that meets your search criteria.
- Use the Interlibrary Loans RACER form to request items not held at Carleton’s library.
Grey literature is an important source of information for research. It provides access to a broad range of information and often contains new ideas. Searching grey literature also offers the potential to balance any tendencies for publication bias found in published literature. It helps introduce alternative perspectives that may not be represented in standard literature.
Examples of grey literature include:
- technical or research reports
- committee reports
- market reports
- conference papers
- white papers
- conference presentations
- government documents
- preprint materials
- theses and dissertation
- clinical trials
Resources for finding grey literature
- Finding the Hard to Finds: Searching for Grey Literature - University of British Columbia
- GreyNet International Directory of organizations in grey literature from GreyNet International
- Grey Matters
- Grey Literature Report - provides updates to grey literature on health services and topics.
- Alternative Press Index
- Economics Search Engine (American Economic Association)
Policy Reports and Working Papers
- Brookings Institute
- Canadian Public Policy Collection
- Canadian Health Research Collection
- Conference Board of Canada e-Library In addtion to the e-Library, look to particular Centres for research on specific topics. Go to Conference Board of Canada and scroll down to the bottom of the page. Select Sitemap. Under Special Projects you will see Centre for the North, Centre for Food in Canada, How Canada Performs, etc.
- National Bureau of Economics Research (NBER) Working Papers
- Policy File Index (U.S.)
- Social Research and Demonstraton Corporation A non-profit research organization, created specifically to develop, field test, and rigorously evaluate new programs.
- Hillwatch - provides an excellent listing of Canadian and international think tanks.
- Harvard Kennedy School provides a searchable database of more tha 590 think tanks and research centres.
- Canadian Newsstand Access to over 280 Canadian news sources
- Eureka Fulltext Canadian French and English newspapers from Alberta, the Atlantic provinces, Québec and aboriginal communities. Includes fulltext transcripts radio and television broadcats from CBC, CTV and SRC.
- Factiva (Globe and Mail and the Wall Street Journal live here)
- PressReader PDFs to more than 2300 newspapers from 97 countries in over 55 languages.
- Wire Report The leading news service covering Canada's rapidly converging telecom and media sectors.
- Journalist's resource: research on today's news topics
- Annual estimates of employment, earnings and hours
- Canada Census 2006 release topics - Labour
- Canadian labour market at a glance
- Guide to the analysis of the Workplace and Employee Survey
- Labour Force Historical Review
- Minimum Wage Database (Human Resources and Skills Development Canada)
- United States Department of Labor. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Annotated Canada Labour Code 1992 -
- Canada Industrial Relations Board. Reasons for decision 1999 -
- DI: decisions, information 1974 - 1999
- Canadian labour law cases
- Canadian labour relations boards reports 1999 -
- Canadian labour law reports 1953 -
- Canadian master labour guide; a guide to Canadian labour law 1995, 2004 -
- Consolidated federal employment and labour statutes and regulations 1995, 2000 -
- Labour arbitration cases 1948 -
- Ontario employment law handbook : an employer's guide
Labour Organizations, Associations and Institutes
- Amercian Federation of Labor
- Canadian Labour Congress
- Canadian Industrial Relations Association
- Ontario Federation of Labour
- Employment Policies Institute
- Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety
- Arbitration and Mediation Institute of Canada
- Ontario Labour-Management Arbitrators Association
- Candian Union of Public Employees (CUPE)
- Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW)
- Canadian Auto Workers (CAW)
- Public Service Alliance of Canada (PSAC)
- LaborNet Provides labour news and information, for union and labour organizations worldwide
- O*Net United States Dept of Labor. Employment and Training Administration
- WWW Viritual Library: Labor History