There are many excellent online guides to doing a lilterature review. Samples include:
- The Literature Review: A Few Tips on Conducting It - Univeristy of Toronto
- Academic writing: what is a literarure review - Simon Fraser University
- Conducting a Literature Review - Georgetown University Medical Centre
- Literature Review - Deakin University Library
- Learn to Write a Review of Literature - University of Wisconsin - Madison
- Guidelines for Writing a Literature Review - University of Minnesota, Duluth
The library's new search tool, Summon, allows you to search for books, journal articles, media, and more with a single search. You can access Summon from the library's homepage. Also try the Advanced Search.
Once you have your results:
To see only BOOKS click on Book/eBook.
To see only JOURNAL ARTICLES click on Journal Article and click on Scholarly & Peer-Review.
Because there will be many results, it is important to narrow your search.
However, Summon doesn't search everything that the library owns so you will still need to search other resources to find everything that you need. Summon also doesn't let you do sophisticated searches that you may be used to doing in specific databases or the library catalogue.
Use Summon when starting research on a topic or when you are not sure which databases to use.
Encyclopedias & Dictionaries
- Blackwell Encyclopedia of Management - search all volumes or limit to V. 6: International Management
- Dictionary of international business terms
- Dictionary of trade policy terms
- International encyclopedia of business and management
- Key concepts in international business
- Oxford Reference Online: Economics & Business
For books or ebooks on international business, search using Summon, described above, or in the catalogue by keyword or using the suggested subject headings below.
Books & Textbooks
Business faculty suggest the following titles as a good starting point. The library does not collect all textbooks; for titles not found, contact the university bookstore instead.
Wild, John J. International business : the challenges of globalization, 2016
Marschan-Piekkari, Rebecca, Language in international business : the multilingual reality of global business expansion, 2014
HD62.4 .C85 2008
Suggested Subject Headings
- Business Source Complete
Provides indexing and full-text to scholarly journals, business magazines and trade publications.
- Canadian Business & Current Affairs Database (previously CBCA Complete)
Canadian index to scholarly journals, business news sources and magazines.
- Emerald Management eJournals
Indexes over 100 scholarly journals on all streams of business.
Cited Reference Searching
Grey Literarture, Policy Reports, Think Tanks
Consult the library guide Searching for Grey Literature for sources and searching tips. Good databases for grey literature include:
- Business Source Complete (select publication type "Grey literature", also search market reports and company information)
- Dissertations and Theses Global
- IEEE Xplore Digital Library (narrow down to "conference publications")
- CURVE (Carleton University Repository Virtual Environment)
- Government Information (use our Google custom search engine)
- WorldCat (covers resources outside of Carleton's collection)
Policy Reports and Working Papers
- NBER (National Bureau of Economics Research) Working Papers)
- PolicyFile (U.S. Policy) Provides access to U.S. foreign and domestic policy papers and gray literature.
Think tanks are independent, nonpartisian, public policy research institutes that are often non-profit such as the American Enterprise Institute, Brookings Institute, etc. They conduct research and analysis on current issues and topics. Hillwatch provides a listing of key Canadian and international think tanks and the Harvard Kennedy School provides a searchable database of over 600 listings.
Dissertations & Theses
- Dissertations and Theses Global Covers all the same theses from the former Dissertations & Theses Full Text (full-text of North American theses) and Dissertations & Theses: UK and Ireland (selected full-text, others may be found in the EThOS database listed below) plus it now adds more international coverage of some European and Chinese theses.
- Dissertations and Theses@Carleton (a subset of the full Dissertations and Theses database)
- EThOS The UK’s national thesis service, provides a record of all doctoral dissertations with a growing number of them in full-text
- Theses Canada / Thèses Canada
- Foreign Doctoral Dissertations
View the full list of our theses and dissertations databases.
- Europa World Plus
- Enterprise Surveys
- CIA World Factbook
- World Competitiveness Online
- World Development Indicators
- Human Development Report
- Cambridge handbook of culture, organizations, and work
- Country Insights (Canada Foreign Affairs and International Trade)
- globalEdge - to to Global Insights, select Country and choose Culture from the left hand side menu.
- Negotiating Behavior (U.S. Institute of Peace)
- Bloomberg News
- Roubini Global Economics News Monitor service provides access to articles and reports on global economic issues.
- Canadian Business & Current Affairs Provides full text to Canadian business journals and magazines.
- Factiva (Globe and Mail and the Wall Street Journal live here)
- PressReader PDFs to more than 2300 newspapers from 97 countries in over 55 languages.
- Wire Report The leading news service covering Canada's rapidly converging telecom and media sectors.
- Journalist's resource: research on today's news topics
The following titles are available online through the Library catalogue: