Welcome to the Subject Guide for Islamic Studies at Carleton University Library. Use dictionaries and encyclopedias to get an overview and background information. Also listed below are specialized reference resources useful when first exploring a topic. Look in the section Finding Books and eBooks to find Sacred Texts.
Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
Encyclopædia of Islam
Encyclopedia of Islamic civilisation and religion
Encyclopædia of the Qur'ān
Encyclopedia of Women and Islamic Cultures
Encyclopedia of religion
Columbia World Dictionary of Islamism
Oxford Dictionary of Islam
Lane's Arabic-English Lexicon: Free, online & downloadable dictionary.
The Cambridge History of Egypt
The Cambridge History of Iran
The Cambridge History of Islam
Islam : background and bibliography
The Muslim diaspora : a comprehensive reference to the spread of Islam in Asia, Africa, Europe, and the Americas 2 v.
Ismaili literature : a bibliography of sources and studies
Arab and Muslim Americans of Middle Eastern origin : social and political aspects : a bibliography
Islam : background and bibliography
The Islamic revival since 1988 : a critical survey and bibliography
Concise biographical companion to Index Islamicus : an international who's who in Islamic studies from its beginnings down to the twentieth century
The biographical encyclopedia of Islamic philosophy 2 v.
Great thinkers of the Eastern world : the major thinkers and the philosophical and religious classics of China, India, Japan, Korea, and the world of Islam
Historical dictionary of prophets in Islam and Judaism
Muhammad; encyclopaedia of Seerah
Art and Architecture
A bibliography of the architecture, arts, and crafts of Islam
Dictionary of Islamic architecture
Grove encyclopedia of Islamic art and architecture 3 v.
Islamic art and archaeology 2 v.
Women and Islam
Encyclopedia of women and religion in North America
Encyclopedia of women and Islamic cultures
Women and education in Iran and Afghanistan : an annotated bibliography of sources in English, 1975-2003
Muslim women throughout the world; a bibliography
Use Keyword or or the dropdown Subject search to find books by a topic. To search multiple words not as a phrase do a Keyword search and use Boolean Operations -
AND to find all of the words in any order
OR to find any of the words
AND NOT to exclude one or more words
(islam* or muslim) and (art or architect*)
The * symbol will find any ending up to 5 characters. Canad* will retreive Canada, Canadian, Canadians, etc
A full list of search tips is available at the Keyword Searching page.
Editions of the Qur'an can be found in the book collection in the BP100 - 109 range.
A online copy is available through NetLIbrary: The holy Qur'an
Search for related materials by Subject:
Qur'an or Koran
Qur'an -- Commentaries.
Qur'an - Concordances
A concordance of the Qur'an
Qur'an - Criticism, interpretation, etc.
The Qur'an: an introduction
Qur'an - Dictionaries
Dictionary of Qur'anic terms and concepts
Encyclopedia of the Qur'an
E-book titles avaiabable at Carleton are in the Library Catalogue and will be retrieved by a Author, Title, Subject and Keyword search. Or you may browse our e-book collections.
Relevant eBook Collections:
Canadian Publishers Collection
Columbia International Affairs Online
eBook Collection (EBSCOhost)
Eighteenth Century Collections Online
Making of America
MyiLibrary includes ebooks from Cambridge University Press, Oxford University Press and Taylor & Francis
Oxford Scholarship online: Religion
Springer ebooks (via SpringerLink)
All e-book collections.
- Année Philologique
- America History and Life
- Columbia International Affairs Online
- Historical Abstracts
- International Medieval Bibliography
- ARTstor Includes approximately 500,000 images covering art, architecture and archeology
- Biblical Archaeology Society Online
The list below is a sampling of titles held by the Library. If the journal you are looking for is not listed below, do a title search in the Library Catalogue. If we do not subscribe to it, order the article using Interlibrary Loans.
Arabic and Middle Eastern literatures
Arabic Sciences and Philosophy
British Journal of Middle Eastern Studies
Edebiyât: Journal of ME Literatures
International Journal of Middle East Studies
Islamic law and society
Journal of Arabic and Islamic Studies
Journal of Arabic Literature
Journal of Islamic studies
Journal of Palestine Studies
MERIP-Middle East Report
Middle East Journal
Middle East Policy
Middle East Report
Middle Eastern Studies
- 2001 Census information on religion
- Statistics Canada 2006 census
- Canadian Census Analyzer
- Statistics Canada library online
- Diaspora by design : Muslims in Canada and beyond
- The Columbia sourcebook of Muslims in the United States
- The world's religions in figures : an introduction to international religious demography
- SARAI: South Asian Resource Access on the Internet
- Islamic Studies, Islam University of Georgia Professor, Alan Godlas, provides one of the most comprehensive and scholarly sites on Islam.
- Center for Islam and Science Dedicated to the promotion of research and diffusion of knowledge on all aspects of Islam and science. It encourages a creative exploration of the Islamic worldview of science, fusion of contemporary scholarship with the traditional sources of Islamic thought and a renewed link with the intellectual tradition of Islam.
- The Ismaili Official website of the Ismaili Muslim community.
- Almisbah - Database of Online Resources
- Altafsir.com - Online collection of Qur’anic Commentary (tafsir or tafseer), translation and recitation.
- Arabic Newspapers
- Islamic Multimedia
- Institute of Ismaili Studies
- MENALIB (State- & University Library Saxony-Anhalt, Halle (Germany))
- Royal Aalal-Bayt Institute for Islamci Thought
- Virtual Religion Index - Islamic Studies