This guide provides links to government resources on public policy and statistics relating to justice administration.
- Canadian Centre for Justice Statistics (via <odesi>). Select "Browse <odesi> by category and then topic "Crime and Justice".
Contains data tables illustrating current and historical data from a number of Statistics Canada surveys. The database shows data on crime, police administration, adult and youth court activity, the correctional population and transition homes, as well as various issues such as criminal victimization and family violence.
- Crime and Justice data sets (via the Data Centre)
- European Sourcebook of Crime Statistics
The European Sourcebook Group is a group of experts that produces on a regular basis the European Sourcebook of Crime and Criminal Justice Statistics.
- Hall of Justice (Sunlight Foundation) a searchable inventory of publicly available criminal justice datasets and research
- National Archive of Criminal Justice Data (University of Michigan)
- Pew research - Criminal Justice provides public opinion statistics and reports on criminal justice topics
Note: For studies listed here from the ICPSR contact the Data Centre. Carleton University Library is a member of the ICPSR.
Public Safety Canada Corrections
- Corrections and conditional release statistical overview. An annual survey of crime rates and offender population statistics.
- Crime and Justice tables by subject
- Juristat - includes Canadian Crime Statistics annual report
- Hate Crime in Canada (Archive)
Provincial and Municipal Statistics:
- Bureau of Statistics - select Justice from 'statistics by subject' list
- Criminal Justice Modernization Committee Dashboard
- Ottawa Police Service Crime Stats
- Toronto Police Service Public Safety Data Portal
Foreign and International Statistics:
- Home Office Statistical series, including Police recorded crime
- Summary of Recorded Crime Statistics 1898-2001/02
- Home Office Research Development Statistics (Archived)
- Office for National Statistics Crime and Justice Statistics
- Bureau of Justice Statistics
- Department of Justice Statistical briefing book (juvenile justice)
- Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Federal Trade Commission Consumer Sentinel Network reports provide data on a state-by-state basis and also contains data about the 50 metropolitan areas reporting the highest per capita incidence of fraud and other complaints. In addition, the 50 metropolitan areas reporting the highest incidence of identity theft are noted.
World Criminal Justice Library Network (Rutgers University)
- Statistical Resources from Countries Around the World
Links of crime statistics and other criminal justice reports published by agencies, institutes, or organizations of each country. Links of each country are arranged by categories.
Canada - Federal:
- Justice Laws Website
- Canadian Legal Information Institute Searchable database of federal and provincial laws
Canada - Provincial:
- Canadian Legal Information Institute (CANLII) is a searchable database of federal and provincial laws.
Inter-American Court of Human Rights
International Court of Justice
International Criminal Court
International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia
Canada - Federal:
- Canadian Police College
- Correctional Service Canada
- Department of Justice
- Reports on Plans and Priorities
- Reports and Publications
- Victims of Crime Reseach Digest and Research on Justice Issues (articles relating to the broader policy direction of the Dept.)
- Re-Thinking Access to Criminal Justice in Canada: a Critical Review of Needs, Responses and Restorative Justice Initiatives (2004, PDF document)
- Public Safety Canada is responsible for national security, crime prevention, law enforcement policy and corrections policy issues.
- Publications and Reports include Corrections and Conditional Release Statistical Overview. An annual survey of crime rates and offender population statistics.
- Restorative justice: promising beginnings (2002, PDF document)
Canada - Provincial:
Provincial and territorial Departments of Justice and Attorney General websites normally include information about legislation, correctional services, policing, and the courts.
Newfoundland and Labrador
Prince Edward Island
- Australian Institute of Criminology is Australia's national research and knowledge centre on crime and justice.
- Public Safety and Law
- National Criminal Justice Reference Service Search by topic and statistics to locate reports in A-Z Publications/Products list
European Institute for Crime Prevention and Control
This European regional institute is affiliated with the United Nations and functions under the auspices of the Finnish Ministry of Justice as an independent research and policy-making institute.
- Europol is the European Law Enforcement Organisation which aims at improving the effectiveness and co-operation of the competent authorities in the Member States in preventing and combating terrorism, unlawful drug trafficking and other serious forms of international organised crime
Interpol is the world’s largest international police organization, with 184 member countries. Some of its statistics are restricted to official use, although many reports contain statistical data
- Commission on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice (CCPCJ)
- UN Congress on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice 12th Congress (Brazil in April 2010)
- 9th-11th Congresses (1995, 2000, 2005)
- United Nations Crime and Justice Information Network
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODOC)
- United Nations Interregional Crime and Justice Research Institute (UNICRI)