This research guide will help you locate electronic and print resources about the politics and government of Latin America.
- A political and economic dictionary of Latin America REF F1406 .C35 2004 or online
- Encyclopedia of Latin America REF F1406 .E5155 2010
- The Cambridge history of Latin America F1410.C1834
- Encyclopedia of Latin American politics F1410 .E56 2002
- Encyclopedia of Government and Politics JA61.E53 2004
- Latin America : a political dictionary F1406.R67 1992
- Dictionary of Latin American Spanish phrases and expressions REF PC4822 .H36 2002
- Handbook of Latin American studies REF F1401.H23
- Political handbook of the world REF JF37 .P6
- Mexico : a global studies handbook F1229 .H83 2008
- EIU.com (Economist Intelligence Unit)
- Oxford Reference Online Premium
- Routledge Politics and International Relations Online
- Virtual Library: International Affairs Resources
- CIA World Factbook
- Constitutions, Treaties and Declarations
- Country Studies Library of Congress. Federal Research Division.
Explore your topic
Introducing Summon - which makes it possible to search across many of the library's collections simultaneously. Including books, ebooks, journal titles, games, music, videos, government information, maps, and more.
However, Summon doesn't search everything that the library owns or subscribes to so you will still need to search other resources to find everything that you need. Summon also doesn't let you do sophisticated searches that you may be used to doing in specific databases or the library catalogue.
When to use Summon
- When starting research on a topic
- If you are not sure which databases to use
For assistance using Summon please contact the Research Help Desk.
Use keywords to find books, government and other documents as well as films in the library’s catalogue.
For all relevant titles, click on the subject headings to continue your search.
Latin America -- Politics and government.
Mexico -- Boundaries -- United States.
Argentina -- Foreign relations -- Great Britain.
Falkland Islands War, 1982.
Latin America Revolutions
Latin America -- Politics and government -- 1948-1980.
Chávez Frías, Hugo.
Fulltext eBook Collections:
Cambridge University Press eBooks
Columbia International Affairs Online
Oxford University Press eBooks
eBook Collection (EBSCOhost)
Canadian Publishers Collection
Wiley Online Journals
- HAPI Online
- International Political Science Abstracts
- Columbia International Affairs Online
- PAIS Index (previously PAIS International)
- Worldwide Political Science Abstracts
- IHS Jane's: Defence & Security Intelligence & Analysis
- America History and Life
- Latin American Pamphlet Digital Collection
- Digital Library of the Caribbean
- Gender Studies Database
- Political Science Database (previously ProQuest Political Science)
- Dissertations and Theses Global
- Latin American Pamphlet Digital Collection
- Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection
- OECD iLibrary
This is a list of suggested journals in the field of Latin Politics. Some of these publications are available only in print while others are available online or in print and electronic format.
- Latin American perspectives
- Latin American weekly report
- Bulletin of Latin American research
- Journal of Latin American studies
- Latin American Research Review
- Mexican studies
- Nueva sociedad
- Revista foro
- Summary of world broadcasts. PT.4: the Middle East, Africa and Latin America
- Latin American Network Information Center
- Center for Latin American Studies
- Americas Barometer
- Digital Library of the Caribbean
- Americas Resources: Chatham House
- Archive Of Political Parties And Elections In Latin America (APPELA)
- FOCAL: The Canadian Foundation for the Americas
- Latin American Governments Document Archive (LAGDA)
- Latin American Open Archives Portal
- LANIC: Latin American Network Information Center
- Latin American Studies Association (LASA)
- OAS: Organization of American States
- Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean
- Parlamento Latinoamericano (Official website of the Latin American Parliament)
- Organization of American States (democracy, human rights, security, and development)
Latin American and Spanish Videos Freely Available on the InternetThis guide, produced at SUNY-Albany, gives links to dozens of different sites that have free educational videos in Spanish.
Latin American Government Documents Archive (LAGDA)
This site indexes and archives information from the websites of Latin American governments, which may change frequently.
Directorio Web de Archivos Iberoamericanos: provides links to over 300 Latin American archives
The Latin Americanist Research Resources Project (LARRP)
Government documents available via Carleton University Library
Consult the News Guide for details of news sources.
Tips for searching newspaper databases.
For current Canadian newspapers/news:
- Canadian Newsstand
- CBCA Complete: transcripts of CBC (TV and radio) and CTV (TV) news shows
For historical Canadian & other newspapers:
- The Globe and Mail: Canada's Heritage from 1844
- New York Times 1851-2005
- Toronto Star: Pages of the Past
- Times Digital Archive 1785-1985
For international sources:
- Roubini Global Economics excellent news monitorinig service
- World News Connection
Writing & Citing Guides:
Citation Management (workshops offered at the Library)
More Writing & Citing Resources:
- Thomson-Nelson Guide to Research and Writing in Political Science. JA86 .C43 2006
- Political science research methods JA73 .J64 2012
- The Political Science Student Writer's Manual. JA86 .S39 2006
- Politics on the Internet: A Student Guide. REF JA86.B83 2005 (online)
- A Student's guide for Writing in Political Science REF JA86.M37
- Writing in Political Science: A Practical Guide REF JA86.S36 2005
- How to map arguments in political science JA71.P37 2007
- Information skills: finding and using the right resources
- The postgraduate research handbook : succeed with your MA, MPhil, EdD and PhD LB 2371.W576 2008
- Student guide to research in the digital age : how to locate and evaluate information sources ZA3075.S74 2006
- Your research project: how to manage it (online)
- The essential guide : research writing across the disciplines LB2369.L399 2005
Citing Print and Electronic Resources
- Citing Sources From Duke University. This guide provides examples of citations in APA, Chicago, MLA,and Turabian styles for both print and electronic resources.
- Online! Citing Electronic Resources Provides guidelines for the citation of electronic resources in a variety of styles
How to write a literature review
- How to write a literature review (Concordia University Libraries)
- The literature review: a few tips on conducting it (U. of Toronto)
- Literature reviews (University of N. Carolina, Chapel Hill)
- Sample APA papers: Literature review (Midwestern State University reposting of document from Purdue's Online Writing Lab (OWL)
- Conducting research literature reviews : from the Internet to paper RSV Q180.55.M4 F56 2010
- Doing your literature review : traditional and systematic techniques H62 .J44 2011
- How to research Q180.55.M4 B59 2010 [chapter 4]
- Information skills : finding and using the right resources ZA3075 .G75 2010 [chapter 2]
- The literature review : a step-by-step guide for students RSV LB2369 .R525 2008
- Social research methods : qualitative and quantitative approaches HM571 .N48 2011 [chapter 5]
- Social work research and evaluation : foundations of evidence-based practice HV11 .S589 2011 [extensively covered in Part III]
- Student guide to research in the digital age : how to locate and evaluate information sources ZA3075 .S74 2006
- Systematic approaches to a successful literature review LB1047.3 .B6 2012
- Telling a research story: writing a literature review LB2389.F43 2009
- Writing literature reviews : a guide for students of the social and behavioral sciences RSV H61.8 .G34 2006