- Encyclopedia of scientific dating methods
- A history of the Arctic: nature, exploration and exploitation (print only)
Key geography resources for definitions and overviews of topics
- Companion encyclopedia of geography: the environment and humankind
- Dictionary of Physical Geography
- Encyclopedia of soil science
- International encyclopedia of human geography
- The SAGE handbook of geographical knowledge
Fulltext eBook collections
- Breaking Ice: renewable resource and ocean management in the Canadian North
- Contaminants in Canada's North state of knowledge and regional highlights (2017)
- The Inuit and Northern experience
Search Omni, the library's main search box to easily find peer-reviewed journal articles on any topic. Remember to refine your search by selecting the following options: Peer-Reviewed Journals, Articles and Subject (optional). Use the Omni Search Tips
Search subject-specific databases by to find journal articles. They offer many advanced search features and offer a more focused search.
Recommended Databases for Northern Studies:
- Arctic Science and Technology Information System (ASTIS)
- Bibliography of Native North Americans
- Canadian Business & Current Affairs
- Canadian Public Documents Collection
- Circumpolar Health Bibliographic Database
- Environment Index
- Indigenous Studies Portal
- ScienceDirect Journals
- Sociological Abstracts
- SPRILIB Ice and Snow
- Web of Science
- Google Scholar - performs broad searches for academic sources which can include free sources not available in other databases.
Theses and Dissertations
- Dissertations and Theses Global - Theses and dissertations from around the world, beginning in 1743.
- Dissertations and Theses@Carleton - Theses and dissertations produced at Carleton.
- CURVE - includes Carleton theses and dissertations, as well as other research deposited by faculty, staff, and students.
Other government websites:
- Canadian Northern Economic Development Agency
- Canadian Polar Commission (archived 2015)
- Canadian Research Index
- Crown Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs
- Environment and Climate Change Canada
- Indigenous Services Canada
- Natural Resources Canada
- Northern Contaminants Program
If you are just beginning your research, try browsing through ArcticNet, a web site that brings together scientists and managers in the natural, human health and social sciences with their partners from Inuit organizations, northern communities, federal and provincial agencies and the private sector to study the impacts of climate change in the coastal Canadian Arctic.
- ACUNS - Association of Canadian Universities for Northern Studies
- AMAP - Arctic Monitoring and Assessment Program
- Arctic Circle
- Arctic Council
- Arctic Research Consortium of the United States
- Arctic Studies Center – Smithsonian Institution
- CARC - Canadian Arctic Resources Committee
- International Arctic Science Committee
- International Union of Circumpolar Health
- Inuit Circumpolar Council of Canada
- Nunavut Research Institute
- PermafrostNet - NSERC
- PolarInfo Database
- Scott Polar Research Institute
Data and Statistics
- Arctic Ice Sea Graphs
- Canadian Cryospheric Information Network
- GeoData Center - Geophysical Institute
- Polar Data Catalogue
- Arctic Stat
- Statistics Canada
- See also the library's full list of surveys.
Atlases and Maps
- GCRC Atlases - Geomatics and Cartographic Research Centre, Carleton University
- NRCan - The North
- Pan Inuit Trails atlas e-resource
See also the library's curated online map collection.
See also the library's GIS web page for help.
Thesis & Dissertation:
- How to do your dissertation in geography and related disciplines
- Research literacies and writing pedagogies for masters and doctoral writers
- Conducting a Literature Review (web guide)
- Communicating in geography and environmental sciences (e-book)