This subject guide will assist you in finding books, journal articles, and websites, as well as assist you in developing your research skills.
Welcome to the library resource guide for Porn Studies at Carleton University. This guide has been designed to assist scholars with finding relevant materials on topics and issues relating to pornography. Scroll down to the Reference Materials section to find Encyclopedias, Dictionaries, and Handbooks.
- Pornography is defined in the New Oxford American Dictionary as "printed or visual material containing the explicit description or display of sexual organs or activity, intended to stimulate erotic rather than aesthetic or emotional feelings". Research on pornography often focuses on its effects on sexuality, its effects on violence towards others, and pornography as a valid form of cinema.
Get background information from handbooks, encyclopedias, dictionaries.
- APA handbook of sexuality and psychology. Vol. 2, Contextual approaches [electronic resource] / Deborah L. Tolman and Lisa M. Diamond, editors-in-chief ; José A. Bauermeister ... [et. al], associate editors.
- Battleground [electronic resource] : women, gender, and sexuality / edited by Amy Lind and Stephanie Brzuzy.
- Culture wars [electronic resource] : an encyclopedia of issues, viewpoints, and voices / Roger Chapman, editor.
- Handbook of Internet crime / edited by Yvonne Jewkes and Majid Yar.
- Reading feminist theory : from modernity to postmodernity / [edited by] Susan Archer Mann, University of New Orleans, Ashly Suzanne Patterson, Southeastern Louisiana University.
- The SAGE handbook of feminist theory / edited by Mary Evans [and six others].
Once your topic is narrowly defined, select databases to find specific articles that have been published in journals.
- International Journal of Cyber Criminology [electronic resource].
- Journal of the history of sexuality [electronic resource]. Peer Reviewed
- Porn Studies Peer Review
- Sexuality research & social policy [electronic resource]. Peer Review
- Studies in gender and sexuality [electronic resource]. Peer Reviewed
Find books on your topic to gain greater depth and understanding.
- Bad attitude/s on trial [electronic resource] : pornography, feminism, and the Butler decision / Brenda Cossman ... [et al.].
- Bound and gagged : pornography and the politics of fantasy in America / Laura Kipnis.
- Dangerous relationships : pornography, misogyny, and rape / by Diana E.H. Russell.
- Dirty looks : women, pornography, power / edited by Pamela Church Gibson and Roma Gibson
- Discipline and punish : the birth of the prison / Michel Foucault ; translated from the French by Alan Sheridan.
- Feminism and pornography / edited by Drucilla Cornell.
- Feminist and queer legal theory : intimate encounters, uncomfortable conversations / edited by Martha Albertson Fineman, Jack E. Jackson, Adam P. Romero.
- Gay male pornography [electronic resource] : an issue of sex discrimination / Christopher N. Kendall.
- Good girls/bad girls : sex trade workers and feminists face to face / edited by Laurie Bell.
- Hard core : power, pleasure, and the "frenzy of the visible" / Linda Williams.
- Hard to imagine : gay male eroticism in photography and film from their beginnings to Stonewall / Thomas Waugh.
- In harm's way : the pornography civil rights hearings / edited by Catharine A. MacKinnon and Andrea Dworkin.
- International exposure : perspectives on modern European pornography, 1800-2000 / edited by Lisa Z. Sigel.
- Making violence sexy : feminist views on pornography / Diana E.H. Russell, editor.
- More dirty looks : gender, pornography and power / edited by Pamela Church Gibson.
- Nudes, prudes and attitudes : pornography and censorship / Avedon Carol ; with cartoons by Lee Kennedy.
- On kiddie porn : sexual representation, free speech, and the Robin Sharpe case / Stan Persky and John Dixon.
- Only words / Catharine A. MacKinnon.
- Out/lines : underground gay graphics from before Stonewall / Thomas Waugh.
- Pleasure and danger : exploring female sexuality / edited by Carole S. Vance.
- Porn & pong : how Grand Theft Auto, Tomb Raider and other sexy games changed our culture / by Damon Brown ; [foreword by Jon M. Gibson]
- Porn : philosophy for everyone : how to think with kink / edited by Dave Monroe ; foreword by Gram Ponante.
- Porn studies / edited by Linda Williams.
- Pornification : sex and sexuality in media culture / [edited by] Susanna Paasonen, Kaarina Nikunen and Laura Saarenmaa.
- Pornography : men possessing women / Andrea Dworkin.
- Pornography and feminism : the case against censorship / by Feminists Against Censorship ; edited by Gillian Rodgerson & Elizabeth Wilson.
- Pornography and silence : culture's revenge against nature / Susan Griffin.
- Pornography, the theory : what utilitarianism did to action / Frances Ferguson.
- Pornography: women, violence and civil liberties.
- Powers of desire : the politics of sexuality / edited by Ann Snitow, Christine Stansell, and Sharon Thompson.
- Sex for sale [electronic resource] : prostitution, pornography, and the sex industry / edited by Ronald Weitzer.
- Sex wars : sexual dissent and political culture / Lisa Duggan and Nan D. Hunter.
- Take back the night : women on pornography / edited by Laura Lederer.
- The hypersexuality of race : performing Asian/American women on screen and scene / Celine Parreñas Shimizu.
- The Invention of pornography : obscenity and the origins of modernity, 1500-1800 / edited by Lynn Hunt.
- The politics of sex : prostitution and pornography in Australia since 1945 / Barbara Sullivan.
- The porn report / Alan McKee, Katherine Albury & Catharine Lumby.
- The porning of America : the rise of porn culture, what it means, and where we go from here / Carmine Sarracino and Kevin M. Scott.
- The secret museum : pornography in modern culture / Walter Kendrick.
- The Sexual liberals and the attack on feminism / edited by Dorchen Leidholdt and Janice G. Raymond. -
- The sexualization of childhood / edited by Sharna Olfman.
- Toward a feminist theory of the state / Catharine A. MacKinnon.
- Turbo chicks [electronic resource] : talking young feminisms / edited by Lara Karaian, Lisa Bryn Rundel and Allyson Mitchell.
- Unlimited intimacy : reflections on the subculture of barebacking / Tim Dean.
- Vicarious kinks [electronic resource] : s/m in the socio-legal imaginary / Ummni Khan.
- Women against censorship / edited by Varda Burstyn ; essays by Varda Burstyn ... [et al.].
- Women and Canadian public policy / edited by Janine Brodie.
- Young people and pornography : negotiating pornification / Monique Mulholland.
Suggested Subject Headings:
- Internet Pornography
- Man-Woman relationships
- Obscenity (Law)
- Pornography and Violence
- Pornography History
- Pornography Law and Legislation Canada
- Pornography Marketing
- Pornography Political aspects Canada
- Pornography Psychological aspects
- Pornography Social aspects Canada
- Sex discrimination against women — Law and legislation — Canada — Cases
- Sex in Mass Media
- Sex in motion pictures
- Sex in popular culture
- Sex on television
- Sex Oriented Businesses
- Young women -- Social conditions.
Write down or store all the references you have consulted to include them in your bibliography of your research paper (e.g., Mendeley)
- Begin by defining exactly what you are searching for
- Select the keywords/synonyms in your topic
- Be specific when determining keywords/synonyms and terms to search
- Use the advanced interface of electronic databases and Internet search engines to help narrow your search
- Limit results in electronic databases to full-text or peer reviewed journals only
- Use Boolean Operators to connect search terms (Click for a brief explanation of Boolean Operators)
- Take notes during your research to keep track of where you have been, keywords searched, what worked and what didn't, etc.
- Google search secrets [electronic resource] / Christa Burns and Michael P. Sauers.