Budgets, estimates, public accounts and monetary policy are the principal tools by which governments plan programs and account for their economic activities. Auditing is the process by which government spending on public programs is assessed. This guide provides links to the official sites with this type of information
Canada - Federal:
- Federal government finances: questions and answers
- Distribution of Federal government revenues and expenditures
- Financial Procedures (House of Commons)
- The Parliamentary financial cycle: an introduction
Auditor General of Canada
- How to use the Direct Engagement Manual
- Reports by topic including Financial management and government spending
Bank of Canada
- Monetary Policy including its quarterly Monetary policy report
- BuyandSell.gc.ca Contract history database site contains information on contracts awarded by Public Works and Government Services Canada
Dept. of Finance
- Annual financial report of the Government of Canada
- Budget online from 1968
- Federal Budget
- Budget speech
- Debt management strategy - also includes official international reserves
- Federal support to provinces and territories
- Fiscal monitor (monthly report from 1996 on)
- Financial sector policy
- Government of Canada lending rates
- Fiscal reference tables Historical information on federal public finances and on broad fiscal indicators at the provincial level as well as international fiscal comparisons
House of Commons
- Standing Committees on Finance, Government Operations and Estimates, and on Public Accounts
Parliamentary Budget Officer
Public Works and Government Services Canada
- Public accounts of the Government of Canada, online from 1995
Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat
- Estimates publications and appropriations acts - Government expenditure plan and main estimates (Parts I and II) and Departmental expenditure plans (Part III) - reports on plans and priorities, and departmental performance reports
- Appropriation Acts. Begin as a Supply Bill (Money bills). Once a Bill has been approved and granted Royal Assent it becomes an Appropriation Act
- Proactive Disclosure. Includes travel and hospitality expenses, contracts, grants and contributions, position reclassifications and founded wrongdoing.
- Management Accountability Framework. Expectations of sound public sector management practices and performance.
MERX Canadian Public Tenders
- Opportunities are listed daily from all levels of government including the Federal and Provincial Governments as well as the MASH sector (Municipal, Academic, School Boards and Hospitals) from across Canada
Canada - Provincial:
- Each Provincial and Territorial Ministries of Finance includes information about budgets, estimates and public accounts.
Central Bank and monetary authority websities (via Bank for International Settlements)
- Budget of the United States Government - budget message of the President, budget proposals, and other budgetary publications.
- Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA)
- Council of Economic Advisors
- Economic Report of the President - overview of the nation's economic progress
- Economic indicators - information on gross domestic product, income, employment, production, business activity, prices, money, credit, security markets, federal finance, and international statistics
- Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System - monetary policy, districts and banks of the Federal Reserve System
- Joint Economic Committee - to review economic conditions and recommend improvements in economic policy
- Dept. of the Treasury. Managing federal finances, collecting taxes, duties and monies paid to and due to the U.S. and paying all bills of the U.S., currency and coinage, managing government accounts and the public debt, supervising national banks and thrift institutions, advising on domestic and international financial, monetary, economic, trade and tax policy, enforcing federal finance and tax laws, and investigating and prosecuting tax evaders, counterfeiters and forgers
- Government Accountability Office (GAO) - Congressional watchdog, supports meeting constitutional responsibilities and helps improve performance and accountability of the federal government
- Understanding the primary components of the Annual Financial Report of the United States Government
- GAO high-risk list - agencies and program areas that are in most need of transformation
- National Association of State Auditors, Comptrollers and Treasurers (NASACT) with links to state financial reports online
- Office of Management and Budget (OMB)
- USASpending.gov - includes for each federal contract or award: the name of the entity receiving the award the amount of the award; information on the award including transaction type, funding agency, etc.; the location of the entity receiving the award and a unique identifier of the entity receiving the award.
- Federal Procurement Data System a searchable database for government contracts
- Bank for International Settlements (BIS) - international organization, serves as a bank for central banks
- European Commission Economic and Financial Affairs - Economic databases and indicators
- European Central Bank (ECB) is the central bank for Europe's single currency, the euro.
- European Investment Bank (EIB) - makes long-term finance available for a sound investment.
- International Monetary Fund. - international monetary cooperation, exchange stability and orderly exchange arrangements
- International Organization of Supreme Audit Institutions
- European Court of Auditors - audits independently the collection and spending of European Union Funds.
- OECD - Public debt management
- United Nations Board of Auditors
- World Bank
Development Finance Institutions: in addition to central banks, a wide range of development banks have been created to encourage economic stability and development in economic regions.
- African Development Bank Group
- Asian Development Bank
- CAF Development Bank of Latin America
- Caribbean Development Bank
- European Bank for Reconstruction and Development owned by 61 countries, the European Union and the European Investment Bank
- Inter-American Development Bank
- Islamic Development Bank is a multilateral development financing institution with 56 member countries