Oxford Reference Online Premium - includes over 100 dictionary, encyclopedias, and subject reference works published by Oxford University Press. Search the entire collection or limit by specific subject area.
Routledge Online - two collections available, Routledge Religion Online and Routledge Politics and International Relations Online. Includes encyclopedias, dictionaries and handbooks.
- The new Westminster dictionary of Christian spirituality
- The concise Oxford dictionary of the Christian church
- The Columbia world dictionary of Islamism
- The Routledge dictionary of Judaism
- A popular dictionary of paganism
- Dictionary of contemporary religion in the Western world
- Encyclopaedia Iranica
- Encyclopaedia Judaica
- Encyclopaedia of Islam
- Encyclopedia of Religion
- Encyclopaedia of the Qur'¯an
- Encyclopedia of Hinduism
- Encyclopedia of Protestantism
- New Catholic encyclopedia and New Catholic encyclopedia : jubilee volume : the Wojtyła years
- Brill's New Pauly : encyclopaedia of the ancient world : Antiquity
- Brill's New Pauly : encyclopaedia of the ancient world : Classical tradition
- Encyclopedia of Islamic civilisation and religion
- Encyclopedia of religious rites, rituals, and festivals
- The Encyclopedia of Religion and Nature
- Encyclopedia of Religious Freedom
- Encyclopedia of the historical Jesus
- Encyclopedia of Women and Religion in North America
- Encyclopedia of women & Islamic cultures
- Religion and violence : an encyclopedia of faith and conflict from antiquity to the present
- Encyclopedia of New Religious Movements
- Encyclopedia of religion and film
- The Routledge encyclopedia of religion, communication, and media
- Who's who in the new Testament
- Who's who in Christianity
- The Oxford dictionary of saints
- The Oxford dictionary of popes
- Historical dictionary of prophets in Islam and Judaism
- The Routledge dictionary of gods and goddesses, devils and demons
- Handbook of denominations in the United States
- Handbook of new religions and cultural production
- The Oxford handbook of religion and the American news media
- International handbook of inter-religious education
- Routledge handbook of religion and politics
- Handbook of religion and social institutions
- The Routledge dictionary of religious & spiritual quotations
- A Dictionary of religious & spiritual quotations
- A Dictionary of religious quotations
- The Westminster collection of Christian quotations
Guides to literature reviews from universities
- The Literature Review: A Few Tips on Conducting It - Univeristy of Toronto
- Conducting a Literature Review - Georgetown University Medical Centre
- Literature Review - Deakin University Library
- Learn to Write a Review of Literature - University of Wisconsin - Madison
- Guidelines for Writing a Literature Review - University of Minnesota, Duluth
Sample titles from Carleton's book collection:
To find a copy of a sacred text search by title in the Library's catalogue. Texts are arranged according to:
1) the language of translation
2) the version, i.e. a personal name, place name or phrase identifying the translator or translating body
3) the date of publication.
Sacred texts are often available online.
Internet Sacred Text Archive - searchable archive of texts and online books about religion, mythology and folklore.
Sacred Texts - extensive list of sacred texts and resources, maintained by a librarian at the U. of Calgary.
BibleGateway -megasite for full text access to multiple languages and editions of the Bible.
A primary source is a document or physical object which was written or created during the time under study. These sources were present during an experience or time period and offer an inside view of a particular event. They may also present original thinking, new discoveries or new information collected at the time of an event.
Consult the library's guide Primary, Sescondary and Tertiary sources for more information.
Use the suggested databases befow to find scholarly journal articles. For interdiscplinary topics in religion, consult the library's subject guides for additional databases and key resourses.
A few tips:
1. Look at all writings by a relevant author and co-authors.
2. Explore the bibliography of a relevant article for more articles.
3. Discover if the articles have been cited since publication. Scroll further down to Citation Seaching for infomation and examples.
- ATLA Religion Database with ATLASerials
- Humanities Index (previously British Humanities Index)
- Arts & Humanities Database (previously Arts & Humanities Full Text)
- Old Testament Abstracts
- New Testament Abstracts
- Index Islamicus
- Index to Jewish Periodicals
- Sociological Abstracts
- America History and Life
- Historical Abstracts
- Abstracts in Anthropology
- Philosopher's Index
- Science of religion; abstracts and index of recent articles - print resource covering the religions of both East and West, ancient and modern.It continues the title International bibliography of the history of religions
- Catholic periodical index and Catholic periodical and literature index Bar Ilan's Judaic Library Searchable database of the Old Testament and rabbinical literature.
Good to know:
- Within a database, limit your search to scholarly articles when it is appropriate to disregard other resources.
- Never limit to full-text only as we may subscribe to the journal you find from another vendor. Use the Get it! icon to search for the full text when it is not immediately available.
- Use available options to search more than one database at a time.
- Look for the option to set up an RSS feed or to Create an Alert. You are then notified when a new entry is added to the database that meets your search criteria.
- Use the Interlibrary Loans RACER form to request items not held at Carleton’s library.
Citation searching will help you identify important journals and articles.
Use Journal Citation Reports to evaluate and compare the impact of scholarly journals. While arts journals are not included in the JCR, data on key social science titles is available. The impact factor (IF) measures the average number of citations to articles published in a journal.
Use Citation Indexes to find if a particular author and/or paper has been cited by other authors.
Web of Science
Select Cited Reference Search from top tool bar.
You have the article
"Public-life and hostility to religion" Gedicks, FM Virginia Law Review Volume: 78& Issue: 3 Pages: 671-698 APR 1992
Enter the author in cited author box
Gedicks F* (use surname, first initial and truncation symbol)
Retrieve abbreviation of journal name from list provided, and enter year of publication. VA LAW REV 1992
Deselect disciplines not relevant from listing under Citation Databases
From the list, select the article and click on Finish Search at the top of the list.
Results show the article has been cited 27 times - the most recent in 2013.
Note the option Create Alert to be notified of any future citings of this article.
Select Author Search from menu bar.
Enter author's name and affiliation if known.
Select displayed result. On right hand side all published articles by the author will be listed.Click on article for citing references.
Remember to see if an citing article has itself been cited.
We maintain a video collection of DVDs and VHS videotapes that support teaching and research at Carleton. Most DVD and VHS collections are located at Circulation Desk and some VHS tapes are housed in the Storage Facility. You may borrow videos for viewing at home or in the library.To book a video, click on the "Book this Title" button in the catalogue, or email email@example.com.
There are two viewing stations for DVD and VHS located on the 1st floor. DVD's may also be viewed at regular computer workstations.
Headphones may be borrowed from the Library Services Desk for use at the video viewing stations.
We also have online collections of movies.To find videos in our collection do keyword search, and limit the Material Type to Video.
A few sample titles:
Keep up to date on current issues by using our News sources.
Key news sources:
- Canadian Newsstream - over 280 Canadian news sources from across Canada, including the Globe & Mail.
- Factiva - provides global news sources
- PressReader - provides current online access to over 5,000 newspapers and magazines from over 100 countries.
Yahoo! - Society and Culture: Religion & Spirituuality - especially the section Faiths and Practices
Guide to Internet Resources for Teaching and Learning in Theology and Religion
The Internet Sacred Text Archive
BBC - Religions in the news and profiles of religions
Virtual Religion Index gateway to global resources and organizations relevant to religious studies.
Organizations, websites, etc.
Organisation of the Islamic Cooperation
Quakers - the Religious Society of Friends and Quakers in Canada
World Jewish Congress
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints