This subject guide will assist you in finding books, journal articles, and websites, as well as assist you in developing your research skills.
Welcome to the library resource guide for Sociology at Carleton University. This guide has been designed to assist scholars with finding relevant materials on topics and issues relating to Sociology. Scroll down to the Reference Materials section to find Encyclopedias, Dictionaries, and Handbooks.
To find more, go to the Summon search box and type in the relevant keywords (ex. handbook and gender) and use the "books" filter on the left of the screen.
Get background information from handbooks, encyclopedias, dictionaries.
- Mappers of society : the lives, times, and legacies of great sociologists
- Sociologists in a global age : biographical perspectives
- Women in sociology: a bio-bibliographical sourcebook
- Dictionary of Marxist thought
- A dictionary of sociology
- Key quotations in sociology
- The Max Weber dictionary: key words and central concepts
- Sage dictionary of sociology
- Blackwell encyclopedia of sociology
- Encyclopedia of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender history in America
- Encyclopedia of modern American extremists and extremist groups
- Encyclopedia of postmodernism
- Encyclopedia of social theory
- Encyclopedia of urban cultures : cities and cultures around the world
- International encyclopedia of the social and behavioral sciences
- Propaganda and mass persuasion: A historical encyclopedia, 1500 to the present
- Gale Virtual Reference Library
- Oxford Reference Online: Premium
- SAGE Knowledge Encyclopedias
- 21st century sociology: a reference handbook
- A handbook of political sociology : states, civil societies
- Handbook of social movements across disciplines
- The Routledge international handbook of the sociology of education
Once your topic is narrowly defined, select databases to find specific articles that have been published in journals.
Starting more broadly:
Start with the Summon search box to search across almost all of the databases the library subscribes to. Use the main keywords found within your research topic. As you retrieve results, you should use the Summon filters on the left of the screen to narrow or broaden your search.
Searching more specifically:
When you need to search by specific fields like methodology, NAICS code, jurisdiction, etc. you should go directly to specialized databases such as the ones listed below.
- Sociological Abstracts PEER REVIEWED
- Proquest Sociology collection provides access to Sociological Abstracts in combination with other databases covering the international literature in sociology and social services
- Web of Science Core Collection (choose the Social Sciences Citation Index)
- Canadian Business & Current Affairs
- ERIC PEER REVIEWED
- Google Scholar
- Academic OneFile
- Annual Reviews
- SAGE Research Methods
- ICPSR : Inter-University Consortium for Political & Social Research (Archives of social science data for research and instruction)
- Qualitative Data Repository (QDR’s overarching goals are to make sharing qualitative data customary in the social sciences, to broaden access to social science data, and to strengthen qualitative and multi-method research)
- America History and Life and Historical Abstracts (North American and non-North-American history, respectively) PEER REVIEWED
- Child Development & Adolescent Studies (child studies)
- Criminal Justice Abstracts (criminology) PEER REVIEWED
- CINAHL (health sciences)
- ERIC (education) PEER REVIEWED
- Gender & Work Database (sociology of work)
- Gender Studies Database (gender studies)
- Population Index (demography) PEER REVIEWED
- World Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology Abstracts (rural sociology) PEER REVIEWED
For a more complete listing, see databases by subject webpage
For Canadian social issues:
- Annals of tourism research. PEER REVIEWED
- AMERICAN SOCIOLOGICAL REVIEW PEER REVIEWED
- Annual Review of Sociology PEER REVIEWED
- AMERICAN JOURNAL OF SOCIOLOGY PEER REVIEWED
- Information Communication & Society PEER REVIEWED
- Socio-Economic Review
- BRITISH JOURNAL OF SOCIOLOGY PEER REVIEWED
- SOCIOLOGY OF EDUCATION PEER REVIEWED
- Qualitative research : QR.
- AGRICULTURE AND HUMAN VALUES
- NFB.ca Watch films produced by the National Film Board of Canada. Includes historical films dating back to 1928 to current contemporary releases, including award-winning documentaries, animation and fiction.
- Kanopy A streaming service that provides a platform for educational video products covering a wide range of subjects, from arts, humanities, health, business, education, and more.
- Library DVD Collection The library's video collection is housed in our Reserves room. Since the shelves are not browsable, it is best to do a catalogue search for the title of the movie you are looking for. You can then bring the title and call number to Reserves on the main floor of the library.
- Is the film you're looking for not in our collection? Search Watmedia to locate videos at other Ontario universities. If you wish to borrow a video listed in Watmedia please fill out our Interfilm Video Request form - do not submit requests directly to Watmedia.
Find books on your topic to gain greater depth and understanding.
The following are a few resources that may help you with your research projects:
Start with Sage Research Methods, a comprehensive database of resources on research methods in the social sciences which includes:
- the Little Green Books series on quantitative applications
- the Little Blue Books series on qualitative research methods
- short videos by leading social scientists
- try the "project planner", a tool designed to guide you through your research project.
- Real research : research methods sociology students can use / Liahna Gordon, California State University, Chico.
- The research experience : planning, conducting, and reporting research / Ann Sloan Devlin Connecticut College.
- Research design [electronic resource] : quantitative, qualitative, mixed methods, arts-based, and community-based participatory research approaches / Patricia Leavy.
- Visual methods in social research / Marcus Banks & David Zeitlyn.
- Ethics for graduate researchers : a cross-disciplinary approach / edited by Cathriona Russell, Linda Hogan, and Maureen Junker-Kenny.
- Research ethics [electronic resource] : a philosophical guide to the responsible conduct of research / Gary Comstock.
- The student's guide to research ethics / Paul Oliver.
- Data mining for the social sciences : an introduction / Paul Attewell and David B. Monaghan with Darren Kwong.
- More statistical and methodological myths and urban legends / edited by Charles E. Lance, Robert J. Vandenberg.
- Practical Statistics: A Quick and Easy Guide to IBM® SPSS® Statistics, STATA, and Other Statistical Software
- Social statistics for a diverse society / Chava Frankfort-Nachmias, University of Wisconsin, Anna Leon-Guerrero, Pacific Lutheran University.
- Statistics : a tool for social research / Joseph F. Healey (Christopher Newport University), Steven G. Prus (Carleton University)
Selected resources to get started:
- Avoid Plagiarism
- Citing Your Sources
- Purdue Online Writing Lab (OWL)
- Write a Book Review
- Writing the Research Paper Video
You can also:
- Find out about learning support sessions on writing that are offered by the Centre for Student Academic Support.
- Learn how to use citation management software.
Helpful documentation from the Department of Sociology and Anthropology:
- Style Guide for the Preparation of Essays (Carleton University Department of Sociology)
- The craft of research / Wayne C. Booth, Gregory G. Colomb, Joseph M. Williams, Joseph Bizup, William T. FitzGerald.
- Doing honest work in college : how to prepare citations, avoid plagiarism, and achieve real academic success / Charles Lipson.
- A guide to writing sociology papers / The Sociology Writing Group.
- Social sciences research : research, writing, and presentation strategies for students / Gail M. Staines, Katherine Johnson, Mark Bonacci.
- The sociology student writer's manual / William A. Johnson, Richard P. Rettig, Gregory M. Scott, Stephen M. Garrison.
- Writing in the social sciences : a guide for term papers and book reviews / Jake Muller.