Welcome to the library subject guide for Sustainable and Renewable Energy Engineering, Stream A: Smart Technologies for Power Generation and Distribution at Carleton University.
Two related subject guides of interest also supplement this guide: Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy and Sustainable Energy - Public Policy. For other sources of government statistics use the Government Statistics guide.
Scroll down to the Reference Materials section to find encyclopedias, dictionaries, and handbooks.
Get background information from handbooks, encyclopedias, dictionaries.
- Encyclopedia of solid earth geophysics [electronic resource] / edited by Harsh Gupta.
- Encyclopedia of energy [electronic resource] / editor-in-chief, Cutler J. Cleveland ; associate editors, Robert U. Ayres ... [et al.].
- Fossil Energy [electronic resource] : Selected Entries from the Encyclopedia of Sustainability Science and Technology / edited by Ripudaman Malhotra.
- Dictionary of energy [electronic resource] / editors-in-chief, Cutler J. Cleveland, Christopher Morris.
- A dictionary of energy science [electronic resource] / Nick Jelley.
- LEED v4 practices, certification, and accreditation handbook [electronic resource] / Sam Kubba, Ph.D., LEED AP.
- Sustainable Consumption and Production [electronic resource]: A Handbook for Policymakers (Global Edition) / UNEP
Once your topic is narrowly defined, select databases to find specific articles that have been published in journals.
- EBSCO Databases
- International Nuclear Information System (INIS)
- ScienceDirect Journals
- Annual review of nuclear and particle science [electronic resource].
- Environmental science and pollution research international
- Geothermics Peer Reviewed
- IET renewable power generation [electronic resource]. Peer Reviewed
- International Journal of Energy Sector Management [electronic resource]
- International journal of sustainable energy [electronic resource].
- Journal of energy & natural resources law
- PV status report
- Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews [electronic resource]. Peer Reviewed
- Renewable Energy [electronic resource]. Peer Reviewed
- Renewable Energy Focus
- Wind engineering [electronic resource]. Peer Reviewed
- World energy outlook
Find books on your topic to gain greater depth and understanding.
- Energy efficiency and renewable energy through nanotechnology [electronic resource] / Ling Zang, editor.
- Green energy [electronic resource] : sustainable electricity supply with low environmental impact / Eric Jeffs
- Google Books >Renewable Energy
Books and Serials on Renewable Energy are shelved at these locations in the Library of Congress system:
- Renewable energy sources TJ807- TJ830 New titles
- Solar power plants TK1056 .S6
- Wind energy TK1541
- Photovoltaic power generation TK2960
- Hydrogen as fuel TP359.H8
We welcome your suggestions for books or other library materials you need for your study or research at Carleton.
Suggested Subject Headings:
- Energy conservation
- Energy consumption
- Photovoltaic cells
- Renewable energy sources
- Solar energy
- Tidal power
- Water power
- Wind power
Fulltext eBook Collections:
- Publication Cycle (Engineering & Science): to find primary and secondary sources of information, use tertiary sources of information: dictionaries, encyclopedias, handbooks. When a researcher publishes material, they follow the cycle clockwise. To find primary and secondary sources, follow the cycle anti clockwise.
- Begin by defining exactly what you are searching for
- Select the keywords/synonyms in your topic
- Be specific when determining keywords/synonyms and terms to search
- Use the advanced interface of electronic databases and Internet search engines to help narrow your search
- Limit results in electronic databases to full-text or peer reviewed journals only
- Use Boolean Operators to connect search terms (Click for a brief explanation of Boolean Operators)
- Take notes during your research to keep track of where you have been, keywords searched, what worked and what didn't, etc.
- Google search secrets [electronic resource] / Christa Burns and Michael P. Sauers.
More Writing & Citing Resources:
Write down or store all the references you have consulted to include them in your bibliography of your research paper (e.g., Mendeley)
- Advice on Research and Writing
- IEEE Citation Style Guide
- Writing Services
- Writing Guidelines for Engineering and Science Students
- The Oxford guide to library research [electronic resource] / Thomas Mann.
- Annual Reviews Online / Authoritative, analytic reviews in 34 focused disciplines within the Biomedical, Life, Physical, and Social Sciences. They synthesize the vast amount of primary research literature and identify the principal contributions in each field.