Welcome to the Subject Guide for Sustainable Energy - Public Policy.
Scroll down to find reference resources, public policy collections, think tanks, industry associations, information on Canadian municipalities, and news sources.
The library has a large collection of Subject Guides includiing:
- Public Policy and Administration
- Sustainability Studies
- Environmental Studies
- Environmental Science
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Plunkett’s Alternative and Renewable Energy Almanac - contains American and global research on all areas of renewable, alternative, sustainable, and emerging energy markets.
- Dictionary of energy (online resource)
- Dictionary of energy efficiency technologies
- Encyclopedia of energy (online resource)
- Handbook of sustainable energy
- Mechanical engineers' handbook 4 vols. V. 4 is titled Power and Energy
- Energy for the 21st century : a comprehensive guide to conventional and alternative sources
Public Policy Collections, Think Tanks, Institutes
- Canadian Public Policy Collection - A collection of publications from Canadian public policy institutes, government agencies, advocacy groups, think-tanks, university research centres and other public interest groups.
- Policy File Index - Indexes research on U.S. public policy with content from public policy think tanks, university research programs, research organizations, etc.
- Conference Board of Canada eLibrary - Browse by topic, select Energy, Environment and Transportation Policy
- Hillwatch provides a listing of major think tanks.
Associations offer valuable information - look for an industry association either by consulting a resource such as Associations Unlimited or by doing a Google search such as solar energy association or sustainable energy association.
- Canadian Association for Renewable Energies
- Canadian Renewable Energy Alliance
- SESCI: Solar and Sustainable Energy Society of Canada Inc.
- OSEA: Ontario Sustainable Energy Association
- Listing of Ontario Municipalities
- Federation of Canadian Municipalities
Click on Issues and look for Environment and Sustainable Development and Policy Statements
- ICLEI - Local Governments for Sustainablility
(29 cities are members)
- Integrated Community Energy Solutions (Natural Resources Canada)
Look at Publications and LInks
- Association of Municipalities of Ontario
- Green Communities Canada
- Intergovernmental Committee on Urban and Regional Research, Muniscope
- Clean Energy Classroom - see Government Initiatives
- Communities/Urban Archetypes Project
- Renewables (CanMet Energy)
The library's search tool, Summon, allows you to search for books, journal articles, media, and more with a single search. You can access Summon from the library's homepage. Also try the Advanced Search.
When searching Summon, consider the following:
Once you have your results:
- To see only BOOKS click on Book/eBook.
- To see only JOURNAL ARTICLES click on Journal Article and click on Scholarly & Peer-Review.
Because there will be many results, it is important to narrow your search.
- Content Type
- Publication Date
- Subject Terms
- Library Location
When to Use Summon:
Do a keyword search using booleon operators:
Connect keywords using AND. E.g. sustainable energy and policy
Connect synonyms with OR. E.g. (renewable or sustainable) and energy
Use truncation * to expand results. E.g. canad* will search Canada, Canadian or Canadians
When using more than one operator, use parentheses to group words.
Example: energy and (efficiency or renewable or sustainable) and policy and Canad*
Keyword searching will retrieve print monographs, ebooks and reports by think tanks, research institutes as well as local and international governments. Narrow your search by scrolling down the record of a relevant title and clicking on the subject heading provided.
Suggested Subject Headings of keyword search terms
- Energy policy - Canada
- Energy conservation - Canada
- Energy development - Canada
- Energy industries - Canada
- Renewable energy sources
- Solar energy
- Water power
- Wind power
- NREL: National Renewable Energy Laboratory - U.S. Dept of Energy, Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
- Centre for Energy
- Environment News Service
- International Institute for Sustainable Development
- Environmental Policy Collection - from the University of North Texas
- GreenSource - the magazine of sustainable design
- World Resources Institute see EarthTrends Energy and Resources