Content last reviewed:
Holds and Recalls
How do I place a hold on an item from the Library?
- You cannot currently recall or place holds on materials in Omni. Please use the Curbside Pickup or Mail Delivery service to request materials.
My book has been recalled. What if I can't return it?
- If you cannot return your materials, please contact us and we will discuss other return options.
How do I recall an item?
- If you require a book that is checked out, staff will recall the book on your behalf. Please use the Curbside Pickup or Mail Delivery service to request materials.
If I request an item that is checked out, will the person who has it checked out be able to renew it?
- No, they will not be able to renew an item once it has a request on it. However, patrons are guaranteed 28 days from the time of check out before recalls are applied.
How long will I be able to check out the item I am requesting?
- If there are no other holds then the item will be checked out for your regular loan period.
- If there is more than one hold, the loan period may be reduced to ensure that there is reasonable access to a book in high demand.
How long are curbside requests kept for pickup?
- Curbside Requests are kept for 10 days, after which the request will be cancelled and items will be reshelved.
- Check your Carleton email account and/or Library account to verify the status of any requests .
I have checked out a library book for 120 days and I have received an email that my due date has changed. Is this possible?
- Faculty, staff and students are permitted to check out library books for 120 days, however the material is subject to recall only after the guaranteed 28 days.
How do I request an item from the Storage Facility?
- Carleton faculty, staff and students: Please use the Curbside Pickup or Mail Delivery service to request materials.
How long does it take to get an item from the Storage Facility?
- 24 hours excluding weekends.
When will I receive notification that the book from the Storage Facility is available?
- A pickup notice will be emailed once the item is sent from the Storage Facility and is available for curbside pickup or being prepared for mail delivery