Registered Carleton University students are eligible to receive ArcGIS Desktop for use on their personal computer. The term of use is for one year (365 days), which starts upon registration and authorization of the software package.
If you are registered for any Geomatics or graduate GIS courses, wait until after your first class to download ArcGIS as you may receive instructions.
- ArcGIS Desktop only runs on the Windows Operating System. Mac users will need to run Windows either through Bootcamp or within a virtual environment (such as VirtualBox or VMWare Fusion).
System Requirements: Prior to downloading and installing a copy of the software on your personal computer you should ensure that your computer meets the necessary minimum requirements: ArcGIS for Desktop 10.8 and earlier versions.
- Sign and submit the ArcGIS Desktop License agreement (log in with your MyCarletonOne Username and Password).
- Some folks have been receiving an error at this step: a blank page with the words "invalid response." Anyone getting this error should clear their browser history and/or try a different browser. If that doesn't work, please submit a ticket with Carleton ITS and then email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to figure out a work-around.
- Download the Single Use Provisioning License file that you will use to authorize your software.
- Download and install the latest version (currently v.10.8.2) of ArcGIS Desktop Software onto your personal computer. Other file components (data interoperability) can be found here.
- Authorize the software with the Single Use (advanced) Provisioning file. An installation wizard should pop up after your software is installed. Be sure to pay close attention to the following installation wizard settings.
- If you did not update the software, double-click the provisioning file (.prvc) to start the Software Authorization Wizard.
Make sure that Advanced Single Use is selected
Make sure to choose the "I have received an authorization file and am now ready to finish the authorization process" when it comes time to choose your Authorization Options. Browse to the location of your provisioning file (likely your downloads folder).
Your authorization number should now be automatically populated in the "Software Authorization Number" part of the Wizard.
What happens if I closed my Installation Wizard before finishing the Authorization process?!
- If you need to authorize your software at another time (without the installation wizard) launch your ArcGIS Administrator (under the ArcGIS folder) from your start menu
2. Select Desktop | Advanced Single Use | Authorize Now | Return to the instructions above and follow the prompts.
Our ArcGIS Installation Troubleshooting Guide has many common errors and how they are fixed.
ArcGIS Education Edition Software for students includes ArcGIS Desktop Advanced Software and the following extensions:
- ArcGIS 3D Analyst
- ArcGIS Geostatistical Analyst
- ArcGIS Data Interoperability (*separate download)
- ArcGIS Data Reviewer
- ArcGIS Network Analyst
- ArcGIS Schematics
- ArcGIS Spatial Analyst
- ArcGIS Tracking Analyst
- ArcGIS Publisher
- ArcGIS Workflow Manager
Note: ArcGIS Desktop only runs on the Windows Operating System. Mac users will need to run Windows either through Bootcamp or within a virtual environment (such as VirtualBox or VMWare Fusion).
- ArcGIS is a Windows-based product.
- You can only request ONE software license annually.
- Software licenses will need to be annually renewed.
- The single-use license can only be authorized on one computer.
- Installing and authorizing ArcGIS Desktop is a process that may take a few hours to complete.