Access GIS software
Help with ArcGIS software installation
Esri provides Geographic Information System (GIS) software for visualizing, managing, creating, analyzing and organizing geographic data. ArcGIS permits the understanding and visualization of the geographic context of data, allowing for the identification of relationships and patterns.
Licenses for the ArcGIS Desktop Student Edition and ArcGIS Pro software are provided exclusively for educational, research, and academic purposes and are available for use by:
- Faculty and staff at Carleton University on university-owned computers and;
- Carleton University students on their personal computers.
The site license prohibits anyone from using the software package for the pursuit of any profit-making or income-generating venture.
There is no cost associated with the Esri ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Pro software as it is provided as a common good by the MacOdrum Library which holds the site license for the software.
Prior to downloading and installing a copy of the software on your personal computer you should ensure that your computer meets the necessary minimum requirements:
ArcGIS Education Edition Software for students includes ArcGIS Desktop Advanced Software and the following extensions:
- ArcGIS 3D Analyst
- ArcGIS Geostatistical Analyst
- ArcGIS Data Interoperability (*separate download)
- ArcGIS Data Reviewer
- ArcGIS Network Analyst
- ArcGIS Schematics
- ArcGIS Spatial Analyst
- ArcGIS Tracking Analyst
- ArcGIS Publisher
- ArcGIS Workflow Manager
Note: ArcGIS Desktop only runs on the Windows Operating System. Mac users will need to run Windows either through Bootcamp or within a virtual environment (such as VirtualBox or VMWare Fusion).
- ArcGIS is a Windows-based product.
- You can only request ONE software license annually.
- Software licenses will need to be annually renewed.
- The single-use license can only be authorized on one computer.
- Installing and authorizing ArcGIS Desktop is a process that may take a few hours to complete.