Esri provides Geographic Information System (GIS) software for visualizing, managing, creating, analyzing and organizing geographic data. ArcGIS permits the understanding and visualization of the geographic context of data, allowing for the identification of relationships and patterns.
Licenses for the ArcGIS Desktop Student Edition software are provided exclusively for educational, research, and academic purposes and are available for use by:
- Faculty and staff at Carleton University on university-owned computers and;
- Students on their personal computers.
The site license prohibits anyone from using the software package for the pursuit of any profit-making or income-generating venture.
There is no cost associated with the Esri ArcGIS Desktop software as it is provided as a common good by the MacOdrum Library which holds the site license for the software.
Note: The current version available for download is version 10.4.1
Registered Carleton University students are eligible to receive the ArcGIS for Desktop for use on their personal computer. The term of use is for one year (365 days), which starts upon registration and authorization of the software package
- Sign and submit the ArcGIS Student License agreement (log in with your MyCarletonOne Username and Password).
- An EVA######### will be emailed to you within 24 hours. Contact email@example.com if you did not receive an EVA code.
- Visit the Esri Student Edition webpage and log in to your account (create a Esri Global account if you do not have one). Enter the EVA######### code that was emailed to you after submitting the signed license form. Click on Activate ArcGIS. Log out.
- Download and install the latest version (currently v.10.5) of ArcGIS Desktop Software onto your personal computer. Note: You must also download the ArcGIS License Manager in the same folder as the software version you select.
- Authorize the software with the EVA######### code.
For step by step instructions check out the ArcGIS Desktop - Installation Guide.
Carleton University affiliated faculty & staff are eligible to install ArcGIS for Desktop on office and lab computers.
- Sign and submit the license form for Esri Products for Academic Labs (log in with your MyCarletonOne Username and Password)
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a provisioning file for single use or concurrent use.
- Download the ArcGIS Desktop Software – Lab Edition and authorize with the provisioning file.
Prior to downloading and installing a copy of the software on your personal computer you should ensure that your computer meets the necessary
ArcGIS Education Edition Software for students includes ArcGIS Desktop Advanced Software and the following extensions:
- ArcGIS 3D Analyst
- ArcGIS Geostatistical Analyst
- ArcGIS Data Interoperability (* separate download)
- ArcGIS Data Reviewer
- ArcGIS Network Analyst
- ArcGIS Schematics
- ArcGIS Spatial Analyst
- ArcGIS Tracking Analyst
- ArcGIS Publisher
- ArcGIS Workflow Manager
Note: ArcGIS Desktop only runs on the Windows Operating System. Mac users will need to run Windows either through Bootcamp or within a virtual environment (such as VirtualBox or VMWare Fusion).
- ArcGIS is a windows-based product.
- You can only request ONE software license annually.
- Software licenses will need to be annually renewed.
- The single-use license can only be authorized on one computer.
- Installing and authorizing ArcGIS Desktop is a process that may take a few hours to complete.