Esri provides Geographic Information System (GIS) software for visualizing, managing, creating, analyzing and organizing geographic data. ArcGIS permits the understanding and visualization of the geographic context of data, allowing for the identification of relationships and patterns.
Licenses for the ArcGIS Desktop Student Edition and ArcGIS Pro software are provided exclusively for educational, research, and academic purposes and are available for use by:
- Faculty and staff at Carleton University on university-owned computers and;
- Carleton University students on their personal computers.
The site license prohibits anyone from using the software package for the pursuit of any profit-making or income-generating venture.
There is no cost associated with the Esri ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Pro software as it is provided as a common good by the MacOdrum Library which holds the site license for the software.
**Note** The library has recently changed the ArcGIS Online GIS Services to a SingleSignOn (SSO) Enterprise login. This means NEW accounts can be created using your My Carleton One credentials to sign in to ArcGIS Enterprise. Previous ArcGIS Online public accounts and content connected to the Library GIS Services Organization are being disabled. You can migrate your content from your public account to the Enterprise account using the ArcGIS Online Assistant.
Note: The current versions available for download are Desktop 10.7 and Pro 2.3
Registered Carleton University students are eligible to receive ArcGIS Desktop for use on their personal computer. The term of use is for one year (365 days), which starts upon registration and authorization of the software package.
If you are registered for any Geomatics or graduate GIS courses, wait until after your first class to download ArcGIS as you may receive instructions.
- Sign and submit the ArcGIS Student License agreement (log in with your MyCarletonOne Username and Password).
- An EVA######### will be emailed to you. Contact email@example.com if you did not receive an EVA code within 2 hours but please check your spam/junk/clutter email folder first.
- If you are a graduate student please check your spam/junk/clutter folder as the system has been having issues with that email server; if it's not there within an hour, email firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll forward the code to you
- Visit the Esri Student Edition webpage and log in to your account (create a Esri Global account if you do not have one). Enter the EVA######### code that was emailed to you after submitting the signed license form. Click on Activate ArcGIS. Log out.
- Download and install the latest version (currently v.10.7) of ArcGIS Desktop Software onto your personal computer. Note: You must also download the ArcGIS License Manager in the same folder as the software version you select.
- Authorize the software with the EVA######### code.
The ArcGIS Desktop - Installation Guide has full instructions.
Our ArcGIS Installation Troubleshooting Guide has many common errors and how they are fixed.
Registered Carleton University students and Carleton staff and faculty are eligible to download ArcGIS Pro and access it from any computer that has it installed as part of Carleton's organizational account.
If you are registered for any Geomatics or graduate GIS courses, wait until after your first class before contacting us as you may receive instructions.
- Sign and submit the ArcGIS Pro Student License agreement (log in with your MyCarletonOne Username and Password).
- Go to GIS Services at Carleton University Library and click on the blue Carleton University button. Sign in to the Carleton University Enterprise using your My Carleton One credentials. This creates your Carleton University Library ArcGIS Online account. An ArcGIS Pro license is automatically assigned to your account.
- If you are prompted for a URL the Carleton University GIS services URL is Carleton -U
- Download and install the latest version (currently v.2.3) of ArcGIS Pro software onto your personal computer.
- When you sign in to ArcGIS Pro, ensure that you use the Named User option.
- When signing in to ArcGIS Pro ensure that you are signing in using the Enterprise login and your MC1 credentials
Carleton University affiliated faculty & staff are eligible to install ArcGIS for Desktop on office and lab computers.
- Sign and submit the license form for Esri Products for Faculty, Staff, and Academic Labs (log in with your MyCarletonOne Username and Password)
- Email email@example.com to request a provisioning file for single use or concurrent use and indicate how many licenses will be required.
- Download the ArcGIS Desktop Software and authorize with the provisioning file.
Carleton University affiliated faculty & staff are eligible to join the Library GIS Services Organization to access ArcGIS Online to use various applications such as Smart Maps, Business Analyst, Community Analyst, Collector, Survey 123, etc. Creating an ArcGIS online account using your My Carleton One (MC1) credentials gives you access to the online Esri Academy.
- Go to GIS Services at Carleton University Library and click on the blue Carleton University button. Sign in to the Carleton University Enterprise using your My Carleton One credentials.
- You will always use your MC1 to sign into ArcGIS Online and MyEsri and any associated apps - be sure that you are using the Enterprise login and your MC1 (firstnamelastname).
- Online training for My Esri is found here. If you are signed in to ArcGIS Online you should be automatically signed into My Esri. If not, you will sign into My Esri with your MC1 in the top right-hand corner of the page to access unlocked courses.
- APPS! To navigate to the various apps available with your ArcGIS Online account you must sign in to your ArcGIS Online account with your MC1 | click on Home | click on the app icon | select the app you want to use
Prior to downloading and installing a copy of the software on your personal computer you should ensure that your computer meets the necessary minimum requirements:
ArcGIS Education Edition Software for students includes ArcGIS Desktop Advanced Software and the following extensions:
- ArcGIS 3D Analyst
- ArcGIS Geostatistical Analyst
- ArcGIS Data Interoperability (*separate download)
- ArcGIS Data Reviewer
- ArcGIS Network Analyst
- ArcGIS Schematics
- ArcGIS Spatial Analyst
- ArcGIS Tracking Analyst
- ArcGIS Publisher
- ArcGIS Workflow Manager
Note: ArcGIS Desktop only runs on the Windows Operating System. Mac users will need to run Windows either through Bootcamp or within a virtual environment (such as VirtualBox or VMWare Fusion).
- ArcGIS is a Windows-based product.
- You can only request ONE software license annually.
- Software licenses will need to be annually renewed.
- The single-use license can only be authorized on one computer.
- Installing and authorizing ArcGIS Desktop is a process that may take a few hours to complete.