How do I place a hold on an item from the Library?
- In the Library catalogue use the "Hold/Request" link.
- Only Carleton University faculty, staff, and students (including joint graduate students) are permitted to place holds.
Why am I not able to place a hold on a particular item?
- Holds cannot be placed on:
- Items with the status of "In Library"
- Course Reserve material
If I have placed a hold on a title, will the person who has it checked out be able to renew it?
- No one can renew an item with a hold on it.
How long are holds kept at the Library Services Desk once the material has been returned?
How long will I be able to check out the item I have on hold?
- If there are no other holds then the item will be checked out for your regular loan period.
- If there is more than one hold, the loan period is reduced to 5 days. The 5-day loan period is to ensure that each borrower has reasonable access to a book in high demand.
- If a book has multiple holds, it may be placed on a short term loan on Course Reserves to ensure its availability to all patrons.
How do I request an item from the Storage Facility?
How long does it take to get an item from the Storage Facility?
- 24 hours excluding weekends.
When will I receive notification that the book from the Storage Facility is available?
- A hold pickup notice will be emailed once the item is sent from the Storage Facility.
- As email notification is automated and sent out only once a day, you may not receive your email until the following day. Your requested item(s) may already be available for pick-up. Please inquire at the Library Services Desk.
When does Library material get recalled?
- Material is recalled if requested by another patron or is required for Course Reserves. Material for course reserves can be recalled at any time. The due date will be adjusted to 5 days from the date of recall, after which overdue recall fines of $1.00 per day will accrue.
What is the fine associated with recalled material?
- A recall fine of $1.00 per day is charged for an overdue book with a hold on it.
What happens if I do not return the material after I am notified?
- Failure to return recalled material promptly may result in a suspension of Library privileges and a $50.00 re-instatement fee.
I have a hold on an item that is now overdue, can the item be recalled?
- If the item is more than 1 day overdue please visit the Library Services Desk to fill out a recall form. A staff member will then contact the person who has it checked out. Once it is returned you will receive a notice that it is available for pick up at the Library Services Desk.
I have checked out a library book for 120 days and I have received an email that my due date has changed. Is this possible?
- Faculty, staff and graduate students are permitted to check out library books for 120 days, however the material is subject to recall only after the guaranteed 28 days.