Carleton University has enabled the Emergency Temporary Access Service (ETAS) available through HathiTrust. Through this service, current students, faculty, and staff at Carleton can read digitized versions of almost 500,000 in-copyright print items from the Library’s collection. This is in addition to the 6.7 million volumes of public domain works regularly available in HathiTrust.
More specifically, the Emergency Temporary Access Service works as follows:
- Students, faculty, and staff can log in to HathiTrust and view all books that HathiTrust has verified as being held in the Library’s print collection, even if in copyright.
- Students, faculty, and staff can search and read these books online. Books cannot be downloaded, in whole or in part. (The ability to download individual pages was removed by HathiTrust on May 28, 2020.)
- When an ETAS book is accessed online, the book is “checked out” to that user and they will retain access to it for as long as they are actively using the book (i.e. loading new pages).
- Specifically, a user who checks out a book has guaranteed access to it for the first 60 minutes. After that time, as soon as the user loads a new page the book is automatically checked out to them for another 60 minutes. However, if after the 60 minutes the user doesn't load a new page the book is considered inactive and someone else can check out the book. This continues every hour.
- The physical copies of books available through ETAS cannot be consulted and cannot circulate through curbside pick-up or other means.
The in-copyright ETAS materials will only be available through HathiTrust while the Library’s print collection is not available for circulation or consultation due to the current COVID-19 situation.
How to access HathiTrust
To access the HathiTrust:
- On the HathiTrust website, click Log In.
- Choose Carleton University from the list of partner institutions.
- Log in with your MyCarletonOne username and password.
Once you have logged in, you will be able to search and use the HathiTrust Digital Library. Remember that works in the public domain can be downloaded, while in-copyright materials made available through the Emergency Temporary Access Service can only be read online. (ETAS materials will be labeled Temporary Access in your search results.)
HathiTrust ETAS links also appear in Omni search results. "What that HathiTrust link in your Omni search results means: get temporary online access to some of our print books" (6 minute video tutorial).
If you are not able to find what you are looking for, let us know and we’ll see if we can find another way for you to access the materials you are interested in: https://library.carleton.ca/help
Digital works that have been made available through HathiTrust’s Emergency Temporary Access Service (ETAS) are solely for the use of a student, staff member, faculty member or library patron of a participating Canadian institution solely for the purposes of research, private study, education, parody, satire, criticism or review.. By using the ETAS, you agree not to download, reproduce, affix, distribute, transmit, disseminate, communicate, or make any other use of works obtained through the ETAS., Any such use may be an infringement of copyright if done without securing the permission of the copyright owner.
You may not distribute, email or otherwise communicate any materials obtained through the ETAS to any other person. Click here for access to HathiTrust’s ETAS Terms of Service or contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further guidance.