Carleton University has enabled the Emergency Temporary Access Service (ETAS) available through HathiTrust. Through this service, current students, faculty, and staff at Carleton can read digitized versions of almost 500,000 in-copyright print items from the Library’s collection. This is in addition to the 6.7 million volumes of public domain works regularly available in HathiTrust.
More specifically, the Emergency Temporary Access Service works as follows:
- Students, faculty, and staff can log in to HathiTrust and view all books that HathiTrust has verified as being held in the Library’s print collection, even if in copyright.
- Students, faculty, and staff can search and read these books online. Books cannot be downloaded, in whole or in part. (The ability to download individual pages was removed by HathiTrust on May 28, 2020.)
- When an ETAS book is accessed online, the book is “checked out” to that user for an hour. At the end of the hour, if no one else is trying to access the book, the user can keep the book for another hour. Users can keep the book checked out until another user requests to access it.
The in-copyright ETAS materials will only be available through HathiTrust while the Library’s print collection is not available for circulation or consultation due to the current COVID-19 situation.
For more information, see ETAS information for users.
How to access HathiTrust
To access the HathiTrust:
- On the HathiTrust website, click Log In.
- Choose Carleton University from the list of partner institutions.
- Log in with your MyCarletonOne username and password.
Once you have logged in, you will be able to search and use the HathiTrust Digital Library. Remember that works in the public domain can be downloaded, while in-copyright materials made available through the Emergency Temporary Access Service can only be read online. (ETAS materials will be labeled Temporary Access in your search results.)
If you are not able to find what you are looking for, let us know and we’ll see if we can find another way for you to access the materials you are interested in: https://library.carleton.ca/help
Digital works that have been made available through HathiTrust’s Emergency Temporary Access Service (ETAS) are solely for the use of a student, staff member, faculty member or library patron of a participating Canadian institution solely for the purposes of research, private study, education, parody, satire, criticism or review.. By using the ETAS, you agree not to download, reproduce, affix, distribute, transmit, disseminate, communicate, or make any other use of works obtained through the ETAS., Any such use may be an infringement of copyright if done without securing the permission of the copyright owner.
You may not distribute, email or otherwise communicate any materials obtained through the ETAS to any other person. Click here for access to HathiTrust’s ETAS Terms of Service or contact email@example.com for further guidance.