The New Sun Joy Maclaren Adaptive Technology centre is located in room 239 on the second floor of MacOdrum Library. The space provides students with disabilities with access to private study rooms that are equipped with adaptable workstations and specialized software.
This space is only available for students with a current referral from the Paul Menton Centre.
We provide ten workstations with specialized hardware and software, including:
- Large screen monitors
- Adjustable-height computer tables
- Voice recognition softwares
- Screen magnification softwares
- Screen reading softwares
See a complete description of the assistive hardware and software available on each workstation. Note that all workstations also have the standard CCS student lab image.
Book an Appointment
This service is available for students with current referral from the Paul Menton Centre. Pre-book an appointment on one of our 10 workstations.
- Room bookings are for 2 hours. A maximum of 4 hours can be booked per room, per day.
- Appointments can be made 1 week in advance
- Available appointment times are as follows:
- 9:00AM to 11:00AM
- 11:00AM to 1:00PM
- 1:00PM to 3:00PM
- 3:00PM to 5:00PM
What can I expect upon arriving at the Library and JMC?
- Enter the library at the ground level entrance. Tunnel access is available through the elevator.
- You will be asked to show your student ID, santize your hands, and are required to wear a mask at all times in the building.
- Proceed to the JMC and check in with our student attendant prior to using the workstation. Provide your appointment time and preferred room.
- The student attendant will ensure that the room has been cleaned in between users. Cleaning supplies will also be available for patron use.
- Wearing a mask is mandatory within the JMC and study rooms at all times to comply with Carleton's Covid-19 Mask Policy (pdf).
- Please familiarize yourself with the New Sun Joy Maclaren Adaptive Technology Centre Guidelines for information about our space and its regulations.
Instruction is available on all adaptive devices and software by appointment.
Please email LibraryAccessibility.Services@carleton.ca for more information about this space or to book an appointment.