We are offering virtual services only. The Transcription Services office in the library is closed. We are committed to serving you online and are still able to provide you materials in an alternate format.
This service is for students referred by the Paul Menton Centre and will be provided with access to required textbooks, course packs and research materials in alternate formats such as PDF, Word, audio, large print or Braille. If you are a first-time user, please book a consultation by email at LibraryAccessibility.Services@carleton.ca. Consultations will take place by email, phone, or video chat (using Microsoft Teams).
Submitting a Request
Requesting material early is essential. In peak periods, requests can take 10-15 business days to complete.
Fill out one Transcription Request form for each item required.
After you submit the form, we will begin processing your request. Your material will be uploaded through the course reserves system, Ares and you will recieve a email notification when the material has been added.
If you have not recieved an email from us in 10 days please contact us at LibraryAccessibility.Services@carleton.ca
Online Sources of Alternative Format Materials
These databases and services provide access to alternate formats
- Accessible Content E-Portal (ACE) provides alternative formats for print material held in our Library collection, including colour and black and white PDFs, DAISY, ePub and plain text. ACE is a service provided by Scholars Portal. Library users registered with Paul Menton Centre with documented a print disability should contact LibraryAccessibility.Services@carleton.ca to receive an ACE token.
- AMICUS (Library and Archives Canada)
Lists alternate format books available from major libraries in Canada. On the Advanced Search form use the "Format" pull-down list to select Braille, Computer File, Large Print, etc.
- Find Journal Articles and Browse Electronic Journals provides access to the library journal article databases, many of which are fulltext.
- HathiTrust Accessible Text Request Service provides alternative formats to millions of books and journals found in the HathiTrust Digital Library. Identify the title you require and contact LibraryAccessibility.Services@carleton.ca to recieve the alternate format. Users must be registered with the Paul Menton Centre or have a documented print disability.
- Librivox (audiobook collection)