Ready to submit requests for readings you would like to place on reserve? Step-by-step instructions are listed below. Ares will display status information for each individual request as they are processed by reserves staff.
Creating Reserve Requests: Step-by-Step
- Login to Ares with your Carleton account.
- Verify the list of your active courses for the current and upcoming term. Report any errors or missing courses to Library Reserves.
- Select a course from the list and review the course details located at the top of the page.
- Click "Add Reserve Items" under Instructor Course Tools located on the left hand side column.
- Choose one of forms that best applies to your material and fill in as much information as possible.
- Select the method in which the material will be supplied.
- Click "Submit Item".
- Repeat for all reserve requests.
Note: Alternately, you can email your course reading list to Library Reserves.
With Ares you can:
- Activate Ares in cuLearn for more convienient access by you and your students.
- Cross-list your readings with another course you're teaching.
- Create tags for easy organization of your readings, for example "week 1", week 2", etc.
- Select the reserve item from the Class Details page.
- Choose either Instructor tags and Personal tags. Instructor tags are visible for students in your course and personal tags are for your own use and and not visible to students.
- Enter your tags, for example to organize your readings by week (week 1, week 2, etc.). Words and phrases used as tags should be separated by a comma.
- Click "Modify Tags" to save the list.
- Review item usage to determine the number of times it's been accessed by your students.
- Add a TA to assist you in placing materials on reserve for a particular course.