NVivo is a software package that helps with qualitative data analysis. Keep track of all data associated with your project, code your data, create models to help organize your research, run queries on your coded data, create charts and reports for sharing with others...
COVID-19 UPDATE :
We have now completed our winter term workshops. For Spring and Summer 2020 we are available for online consultations (individuals or groups) via e-mail, Zoom or Big Blue Button.
- NVivo is offering 2 free webinars that may be of help to social researchers.
Isolation measures to contain the spread of COVID-19 means that social researchers who conduct face-to-face fieldwork (interviews, focus groups, participant observation, ethnographies etc) are now faced with the challenge of either delaying or re-inventing their methods so that they can continue their research until these measures are relaxed. This webinar will explore ways that researchers can adapt their methods, including approaches for online data collection.
- Carleton's license is currently for NVivo 12 and covers both the Mac and Windows version.
A new version of NVivo has recently been released (March 18, 2020), we are waiting to get our license key for it. In the meantime, please continue to download version 12
- The 2 versions do not offer exactly the same features.
Introduction to NVivo video:
- The license is now FREE for ALL CU students faculty & staff.
- Download NVivo 12
- To get the license key connect to this ITS page and then follow their link to the license form.
- You can also choose to use NVivo without a license for 14 days: just choose the trial option when you open NVivo. You can add the license key once you get it
- Projects created using older versions of NVivo can be opened in NVivo12, see details
- Any questions related to the license for NVivo itself (as opposed to how to use the software) should be directed to Carleton's ITS Service Desk
- Also available on the terminal server in all CCS student computer labs. (Look under Start, Programs, Other Applications, Terminal Server ( login with same account info) then All Programs, NVivo
Schedule for Winter 2020 Workshops is now available.
We offer some scheduled workshops as well as on-demand NVivo workshops to individual, small groups, and classes for Carleton University students, faculty or staff. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements. Topics covered can include:
- Overview of features
- How to import your data
- How to create nodes
- How to code your data
- Building and running queries
- Building models and charts
- Exporting projects items
NVivo also hosts a number of free online brown-bag webinars, paid online workshops, and sometimes does 2-day face-to-face workshops. See their training and events information for details
- Getting Started with NVivo & Qualitative Research: one page handout with lots of resources
- Online tutorials
- Getting Started Resources from NVivo
- On Reserve in the Library (5 day loan)
- Email us at email@example.com
- You can submit questions to QSR NVivo tech support. They are usually quite prompt in answering
- Keep up to date with the following resources: