Choosing an OA Publication - Considerations Flowchart (text version)
- Choose your journal.
- Understand the journal’s policy on copyright.
- Does the journal allow article archiving within 12 months of publication?
- Is the journal open access?
If yes, include funding for author fees or article processing charges (APCs) in grant applications and budgets.
- Is it a hybrid journal?
If yes, understand the restrictions on what, when and how your work can be made openly available.
If no, safeguard your rights.
- Use an author addendum to allow article archiving within 12 months or,
- Negotiate the terms of the copyright transfer agreement or,
- Choose another venue to publish your article.